FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixed frame rates and sequences settings with twixtor

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Warman
mixed frame rates and sequences settings with twixtor
on Sep 6, 2011 at 9:07:32 pm

I am setting up the work flow on a ski film, with a significant amount of slowmo (mostly using twixter). I workiong out the best way to deal with the mixed frame rate.
media:
canon h264 1280x720 60p, and 30p both converted to prores 422

DVCpro 960x720 60p, 30p, 24p

The majority is in 60p

I will edit in 1280x720 prores sequence.

the question is what frame rate setting, and should I use cinema tools to adjust all the frame rates to 60p and then use twixtor to adjust speed?

Thank you

Sean

Imagesandconcepts.com

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
Re: mixed frame rates and sequences settings with twixtor
on Sep 6, 2011 at 9:22:06 pm

The real question is this: what are you delivering to? I can't imagine anyone actually playing back 60p at this point in time (not on the web via Vimeo or YouTube... and certinaly not for broadcast where you might see 60i). You certainly don't want FCP to have to render 60p if your final delivery is 30p (that's twice as many frames to render than you need at the end!).

So really it depends on what your final delivery is. Presumably this will be 30p or 24p, right? That said, if 60p is your delivery frame rate, the 60p it is.

pete Litwinowicz
RE:Vision Effects, Inc.

Return to posts index

Sean Warman
on Sep 7, 2011 at 3:48:58 pm

Thank you Peter,
The delivery will be DVD (thats what it has been in the past) and some clips on Vimeo/YouTube, the goal is to also go to blueray and a down loadable version as you would find on itunes. I have very loyal niche market and the profit margins are tight, so these decisions are tough.
It is more of an art then a business at this point.

I am running some test clips with mixed footage on a 29.97fps 1280x720 prores time line. I did one yesterday on 59.94 and I was shocked how well the different frame rates mixed after what I had read.

BTW- The twixtor has been producing amazing results!

The reason for so much being shot at 60p is the most important part is the slowmo.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Imagesandconcepts.com

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Sep 8, 2011 at 2:25:30 am

If you are using FCP, you should definitively use the Cinema Tools workflow for the 60P you want to slowmo to get best possible results

http://help.revisionfx.com/album/19/#/tutorial-47

Pierre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]