FORUMS: list search recent posts

High shutter speed for Twixtor

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Cohn
High shutter speed for Twixtor
on Jun 3, 2011 at 7:48:39 pm

Hello,
I need to know something before I buy a Twixtor. I did a search and my first findings (for slow motion) are:
1. The higher Frame-Per-second rate the better
2. The faster Shutter Speed the better
Is that corect?
On the other hand the Canon 7D manual states: "the faster the shutter speed, the less smooth the sybject's movement will look". So, if I set the shutter speed to 1/500 or 1/1000, will the Twixtor make a smooth real time motion without jerky effect?
I am asking this question because I would like to combine real time and slow motion from one footage, and the other reason I want to shoot a movie with high shutter speed to be able to take single still pictures form a footage.
Thank you for your help,
Jack Cohn

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: High shutter speed for Twixtor
on Jun 3, 2011 at 8:50:12 pm

Canon says that because slower shutter will create more motion blur so if you then use the clip at 30P (drop every 2 frames) it will have less motion blur then if you shot at 30P to start. i.e. the motion streak will be 1/2 the lenght.

We just say the less motion blur the better for the motion analysis. Some people actually use our RSMB regular after to create a more filmic look.

The more frames the better is of course always true but the truthness is relative to what you shot. You notice people that say that tend to shoot on a skateboard their friend jumping off a cliff on a trick bike... So sports in general (fast action) benefit from more FPS. It is so because if you have 2X more frames to start Twixtor only has to look within a window twice as small to match to create the in-between. More frames per second also makes it more robust for objects closer to the camera... always the same reason (less pixels travelled between two frames).

If your options are 720 60P and 1080 30P - go 720 60P if you want to do slowmo... resizing 1.5X is safer then half the frames. For someone else who has 1080 60i and 1080 24P, for twixtor 1080 60i will usually be better (usually = unless some guy wears a checkboard shirt).

Hope this helps :)

Pierre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]