FORUMS: list search recent posts

slow down 15fps HS movie

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fabian garnier
slow down 15fps HS movie
on May 27, 2011 at 6:06:28 pm

Hi, a friend just had his first baby born and of course he was shooting some videos of the event. All of them where ok, but at one, he accidentally switched the HS setting on his Nikon P500. Which means, it shoots in high-speed (not slomo), at 15fps, but plays back at 30 fps, so it all looks kinda speedy (and a bit funny, weren't it for this intimate moment of the birth of a child, still ... pretty funny tho :) ) I have to restrain myself not to put some ragtime music under it :)

anyway, he asked me to try to solve it, and all jokes aside, thats what I wanna do.

now how do you go about this, it's a 30fps HD video file, but it's shot at 15fps, so it skipped 15 frames I'm I correct ?

I tried stretching it in Premiere, but that didn't help, just even choppier.

Now I heard about this tool Twixter, could that be a solution and could somebody explain how I could use it to solve this problem please ? Because I'm a real noob at video/timing probs.

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: slow down 15fps HS movie
on May 27, 2011 at 6:37:13 pm

The theory would be you select the clip in the project bin, make a copy if you have audio, then right-mouse click (Modify | Interpret Footage -- that's how it looks in CS5). Set the frame rate to 30. Then you drop that in a sequence (you can use the New Sequence from Clip menu) and it will play at half the speed in Premiere (be half as long), you then make another new sequence from the first sequence and apply Twixtor there with 50% speed. If you have audio, you might have to turn off audio from the retimed one and put under it the not retime one and turn off the video part for that one (just keep the audio tracks).

Now you say it's 15 FPS, it might be 14.985 FPS in a 29.970 FPS sequence, if you have problem with that, we have techsupport @ revisionfx dot com here to help out.

Also there are some tutorial intro about Twixtor in general here:
http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/revisionfx
start with overview for premiere pro (they are in inverse chronological order) OR here help.revisionfx.com

Pierre
RE:Vision Effects

Return to posts index

fabian garnier
on May 27, 2011 at 10:23:03 pm

Now see, this is why I used to love forums ! Always somebody there that can help, fast and detailed. Refreshing, don't see that often on a forum anymore. It's usually more like "yes. .. no. .. yeah I have that problem to, can you PM me ... Google is your friend" which it isn't really .... but I'm going way of topic, another forum decease sorry ;)

Thank you sir ! I'll take in your advice and give it a try with a demo of your product !

If it works I'll purchase it, because my friend says he wants more children and he will probably muck those up to, the video's I mean ;)
No seriously, as beginning filmmaking enthusiast I'm interested in slow motion effects amongst others.

anyway, thanx again !

best regards

Return to posts index

fabian garnier
on May 28, 2011 at 3:12:12 pm

I've been trying the Twixtor plug-in, watched the tutorials and I realize now that I might haven't correctly described my problem.
The problematic video, which is recorded with Nikon's P500 in HiSpeed mode, actualy records 15fps but 'packaged' it in a 29.970 fps signal. For that high speed effect. So I assume it doubles the frames. So when I re-interpret the footage as 15fps the movie get's twice as long and plays at normal speed, which is sort of what I want. But it still consist of duplicate frames. Which is not really what I want, I should get rid of the duplicates and have Twixtor generate the frames needed to get a 29.970 signal. I'm a bit confused here.

Does this make any sense at all ?

So it's not strictly frame rate conversion, because the frames are there, just doubled. I start with 29.970fps and I want 29.970fps ... so how do I go about this ? And How does Twixtor handle these situations, with duplicated frames, does it recognize duplicates ? Should I let it know of this strange file construction ? Because I tried all sorts of solutions, with and without Twixtor, but I don't see any difference.

thanx in advance

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Jun 1, 2011 at 7:07:22 pm

Sorry, if I was not clear.

In Modify|Interpret Footage double the frame rate for the clip (i.e. if you have 15FPS in a 30FPS clip, then set the frame rate to 60FPS). This will skip every two frames. Then you use Twixtor at 50% to generate back the duration.

So interpret your 29.970 footage with doubled frame to 59.940 and drop that in sequence X set to 29.970. Then drag sequence X to your main edit sequence also at 29.970 and apply Twixtor 50% speed.

Pierre
RE:Vision Effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]