FORUMS: list search recent posts

Twixtor for FCP vs. AE

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schmidt
Twixtor for FCP vs. AE
on Mar 31, 2011 at 7:54:48 pm

I use both Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 and After Effects CS5. Now I am wondering which program I should get Twixtor for? What are the pros and the cons?

Of course, I would like to be able to try out different things right in my editing application, without having to go to another program and back (which would speak for the FCP version). On the other hand, I really hate animating anything in FCP. I find AE to be much more robust and user friendly in that regard (obviously - it's made for that). I am not yet familiar with the usage of Twixtor, but I assume that there are things to animate, and that that's easier done in AE - is that correct?

Has anyone tried both?

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Twixtor for FCP vs. AE
on Mar 31, 2011 at 8:37:22 pm

Also in case you don't know we allow you to get for both for 25% more, and we do that because we have a lot of users that edit in FCP and do effects in AE.

The main difference I would add is AE has better support for FPS, so tasks like converting 29.97 to 24 (choose your format conversion here) are more elegantly handled by Twixtor in AE. A good way to sum it up, is in FCP to do straight FPS conversion you have to do something like using Cinema Tools as an intermediate pass in this tutorial Lori did: http://library.creativecow.net/freitag_lori/twixtor-fcp-frc/1
while in AE you can type the input FPS in Twixtor and it will transcode to the comp FPS automatically. If you already anyway take the footage your camera shot and convert it to ProRes or something for editing in FCP it's not too much of an assle as you already anyway do an extra step so how important that is depends on how you work I guess.

Pierre

Return to posts index

jamie hefetz
on Nov 12, 2011 at 7:33:47 am

Hi Pierre,

I like doing all my color correcting and effects work in AE AFTER I do my cuts in FCP.
Right now I'm editing a music video all in slo-motion. It has several different clips i need to edit down on FCP's timeline to the music.

Now my problem is - if i use FCP's slowmoe how will that translate once i bring it over to AE?
Will I be able to get the same quality as if I had never filtered the footage through FCP's slow moe?

My only thought is to just twixtor my footage in AE FIRST then carry the twixtored clips over to FCP.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Nov 14, 2011 at 12:45:50 am

Looks like your two options are:

In FCP do a nested sequence for each clip to twixtor and apply Twixtor to each on your main timeline
OR
pre do every clip in AE and assemble in FCP

Frame by Frame editing is easier in AE

YOU CANNOT PRE-BURN FCP slowmo in footage and ship to AE

Pierre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]