FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fieldskit in AE CS5 - 59.94 back to 29.97?

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Haga
Fieldskit in AE CS5 - 59.94 back to 29.97?
on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:27:42 pm

I am looking to use FieldsKit in AE CS5 to simply convert my 60i footage to 30p, hopefully ending at 29.97 fps.

Everything I have read seems to involve using Twixtor along with FieldsKit, which I really don't think I need (or can afford).

What I have read about converting 60i to 30p involves dropping the source into a 59.94 comp and then applying FieldsKit at 2x FPS - sounds good, but how do I get it back to 29.97? Do I need Twixtor to do this, or can I just drop into a 29.97 comp without losing any quality? Is the end result better with the 2x approach, or can I deinterlace from the start with FieldsKit in a 29.97 comp?

I've had a hard time getting a lot detail on the workflow of FieldsKit by itself. Any details on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Fieldskit in AE CS5 - 59.94 back to 29.97?
on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:47:02 pm

There is a mode in the Deinterlacer called Motion Estimated Blend which will do what you want. Just drop your footage, apply that with the default (making sure the field order menu is correct). No need for Twixtor. The bit you read about using FieldsKit before Twixtor is for certain retiming cases problems.

Pierre

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:55:20 pm

In addition to the Motion Estimated Blend mode, there is also =1 Frame Per Frame and =1 Fields Blend that will allow you to deinterlace from 29.97 interlaced to 29.97 progressive. The "=" sign means that the input frame rate is the same as tne output frame rate. The first mode "=1 Frame Per Frame" deinerlaces by using one field to create the missing scanlines, and the "=1 Fields Blend"

Have you found the manual that was installed with the plugin when you ran the installer? All these options are explained.

Return to posts index

Kevin Haga
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:32:56 pm

ok, thank you. Yes, I did read the FieldsKit manual.

With all the forum posts out there, it gets confusing. For example, when I read about dropping the 29.97 into a 59.94 comp and using 2x, there seem to be an advantage where Twixtor was intelligently filling in frames and going to 59.94 - however, I wasn't sure if great results were also achieved without Twixtor.

I've been trying to make sure I understand the best way to leverage FieldsKit for deinterlacing only, and not messing with time conversion, but I need the best results. Spending a total of $600 to get great deinterlacing seems steep, but FieldsKit for $90 works for me, if the results are great too.

After reading your answers and looking at the manual again, it makes more sense to me. On Windows, I have used a freeware setup for deinterlacing HDV 60i sequences that mimicked the FieldsKit/Twixtor approach - going to 59.94 and then back again (based on Debugmode Frameserver, AviSynth, VirtualDub tools), but I need an equivalent solution for CS5 on my Mac Pro, so I've been researching various products.

Thank you for the prompt answers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]