FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to adjust vertical range of Twixter speed and frame values in FCP keyframe editor

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Gold
how to adjust vertical range of Twixter speed and frame values in FCP keyframe editor
on Dec 24, 2010 at 11:26:51 pm

Is there a way to adjust the vertical range of Twixter's speed and frame values in FCP's keyframe editor? By default they're at -10,000 to 10,000 for speed and 0 to 30,000 for frame, which means that for the vast majority of clips the ramps appear mostly flat- not so useful for tweaking. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
Re: how to adjust vertical range of Twixter speed and frame values in FCP keyframe editor
on Dec 26, 2010 at 6:20:45 pm

YOu can certainly set keys manually within FCP by typing in speed/frame values, so that even though the curves appear flat, they are not.

However, if you want to tweak the curves interactively in FCP's curve editor, that's another thing. We've been asking for years to the FCP team for a feature to stretch out their curve editor editing regions (we have no control over this). Please ask the FCP team for this feature. You can do that here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

CHeers,
Pete Litwinowicz
RE:VIsion Effects, Inc.

Return to posts index

Zach Gold
Re: how to adjust vertical range of Twixter speed and frame values in FCP keyframe editor
on Dec 26, 2010 at 7:13:35 pm

I abolutely need to tweak the curves visually. I submitted an enhancement request, but let's face it- this is a UI issue and Apple doesn't really listen to anyone in that department.

I'm a developer myself and have spent a great deal of time coding custom retiming tools, albeit lacking the superb interpolation of Twixter. My recommendation on how to make Twixter graphically useful in FCP is to add two other parameters for speed and frame range respecitively. Let's face it, very few users will want to go anywhere near plus or minus 10,000%, but I understand wanting to make your application as robust as possible.

If adding range parameters seems too inelegant, I would suggest adding a built in logarithmic scale to the visual display of the speed curve that doesn't affect the actual functioning. This way one would see a noticeable curve from both 0-100% and 100-10,000%, but not 9,900%-10,000%, which I think is safe to abandon support for.

The frame parameter is a little more complicated. It seems the best solution would be to automatically detect the length of the clip and make that the maximum. That's what I do in my own software, which uses frame based retiming.

Please keep in mind that I've never used FXPlug (although I'm planning on jumping in once I finish some other projects) so these are all just suggestions based on ignorance of what Apple will let you do behind the scenes!

Best,
Zach

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Dec 26, 2010 at 7:54:10 pm

Yeah, it sounds easy.

Except: FCP doesn't allow you to dynamically change the displayed range. So having separate parameters to control the display range is not possible.

The display range and range of allowed values that you can set for the parameters are tied together within FCP. If you give a range that's less than what we giv now,, then you it's not just a matter of the displayed range being set, but he maximum and minimum POSSIBLE range you can set. So if we set the range from 0 to 100, then users wouldn't be able to set the range to 1000. or 2000. or more. And trust me, people want to be able to set the speed that high (we've tried smaller ranges and people find that too restrictive).

"I would suggest adding a built in logarithmic scale to the visual display of the speed curve that doesn't affect the actual functioning"

Um, we have no control over the display versus the actual set values. And we definitely want to use the timing controls of params that FCP already has, so we want to use their animation controls because users already know how to set these up... having a separate interface in a separate window for controlling the animation, which is the only other option, would take users out of the experience they already know within FCP (and we consider this very bad, and so do most users).

" It seems the best solution would be to automatically detect the length of the clip and make that the maximum."
Once again, you can't set this dynamically within FxPlug.

If you find better solutions once you start program in FxPlug, let us know.
pete

Return to posts index

Zach Gold
on Dec 26, 2010 at 9:01:22 pm

Jeez, thats rough. Do you think I'd prefer the Premiere or After Effects versions for graphical keyframing? At this point, I mostly use FCP as force of habit, having about 8 years experience with it. Now that I'm working with more comoressed media, I'm getting sick of the need to constantly render, so am thinking of switching for good.

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Dec 26, 2010 at 9:10:16 pm

I actually like the graphical editor with AE. I think it will do all the things you are looking for. (it allows you to set the display range of an animation parameter curve independent of what the max/min range is).

Pete

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]