FORUMS: list search recent posts

Twixtor help please - isn't working when display is 'source'

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Marshall
Twixtor help please - isn't working when display is 'source'
on Mar 23, 2010 at 3:44:02 pm

I've spent the past few days trying to figure this out, it must be simple. I'm using AE (CS4) and am trying to speed up (shorten) my clip. It is a time lapse where during the days I want to speed it up 300% and at night 1000% (along with some additional speed changes in between).

I found it impossible to keyframe my speed changes with my display set to "twixtored output" since every time I change the speed values the timeline changes as well. Even if I select an exact frame of say when the sun comes up, the second I change the speed % the time shifts on that keyframed location. So I found I had to do it all with display set to source. (I figured this must be an example of a case necessitating that setting)

But when I export there is no time change?!?! It's almost as if having the display set to "source" when I export it switches the effect off! Indeed even the manual says "DISPLAY: is a pop-up menu used to switch between 1) the unprocessed input ("Source") or 2) the Twixtor-processed ("Twixtored Output") output. This is similar to a bypass switch. Certain operations are easier or must be done in the "Source" display mode.".....

Well then how do you get the effect to work when you have display mode set to source!?!? (I'm using AE cs4)

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
Re: Twixtor help please - isn't working when display is 'source'
on Mar 23, 2010 at 4:18:41 pm

Simple answer (and you've already read it in the manual): you cannot get Twixtored output when the display is set to Source. As the manual says "Source" setting displays "the unprocessed output".

However, to answer your question: you want to set the speed to go to only 300% starting at a particular frame (for example, when the "sun comes up"). if you only set one keyframe of 300% this will tell AE to set the value at 300% for all times. So the WHOLE clip gets sped up.

So what to do? Go to the first frame of the sequence and set a Speed keyframe of 100%. Then go to the frame before you want to speed up and set another keyframe of 100%, then go the frame where you want it to start going 300% and set a keyframe of 300%. This will keep the speed at 100% for all the frames before the one where you want to speed it up (so it will play a the normal speed until it hits the 300% keyframe).

Hope this helps.
Pete LItwinowicz
RE:Vision Effects.

Return to posts index

Seth Marshall
on Mar 23, 2010 at 4:31:23 pm

Pete, thank you so much for coming to the rescue! I've literally spent 10+ hours actively trying to figure this out. It sounds like your method of correcting what I've done is to go back to my first keyframe, setting it to 100%, then working my way across the timeline correcting each keyframe position one by one.

Unfortunately my composition is more complicated then I have described. From the beginning I've keyframed a 300% speed increase because starting at the beginning I need it increased 3 times speed. The time lapse is a construction site and as construction winds down I increase the speed to say 600%, then at night when there is no construction I go to 1000% (not 100%). This goes on for a few days with additional speed changes. Ultimately I go down to 100% for a fashion show then back to 300% for when they take down the set. I've laid dozens of keyframes across 11 minutes of footage, all are perfectly set when looking at display mode set to "source" Of course when I change it to Twixtored output "everything" gets messed up.

I now understand it needs to be in Twixtored output mode. But do I have to go through the footage all over again replacing the keyframes? I am hoping there may be an easier solution especially since I have them laid perfectly already.

Does my situation make sense? Thank you again so much for helping me with this!

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:32:00 pm

>But do I have to go through the footage all over again replacing the keyframes?

Short answer: Yes. Sorry.

Pete

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]