FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green Screen

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
Green Screen
on Feb 13, 2010 at 2:56:29 am

Is there a quick and easy way to do green screen really well? It seems everywhere I look I see really good examples of it: on youtube, by high school kids, college kids, hobbyists, on local tv stations; yet every time I have a client ask for it, my editors break out in hives telling me it’s really difficult and it’s critical how it’s lit, etc.

Hasn’t it gotten easier over the years? Aren’t there tools for doing it that didn’t exist years ago, that make it easier?

I have a client who asked for a sample. I told her it’s easy to do, we’ve done it many times but because I haven’t done it in over a year, I’ll put a sample together really quick and have it to her next week. I want to make sure I'm showing her a really clean sample.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Green Screen
on Feb 14, 2010 at 2:03:25 am

To know what software/hardware you have would be useful.

One of the key to straight forward chroma keying is proper uniform lighting of the green screen.

A second variable is the type of camera and compression method used:

a) video noise (a lot of CMOS cameras tend to produce noisy video under not enough lighting)

b) the way the camera + codec ends up encoding chroma subsampling
- for example 4:2:0 with fields as a capture method for keying is probably asking for trouble (might create hard to get rid of fringes on the key edges)
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling
as a reference for "chroma subsampling"

Pierre
RE:Vision Effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]