FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time lapse morph type shot (Need feedback please!)

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Steele
Time lapse morph type shot (Need feedback please!)
on Nov 22, 2009 at 2:17:00 am

Hi,

I am really hoping you can help me find a technique to do this idea. I heard you were the one to ask. What do you recommend?

I am trying to video myself running on the treadmill everyday in the same outfit for three months and edit together for about 7-10 seconds of video to show rapid weight-loss, as if I got on the treadmill and only needed to run for 10 seconds to magically loose fat and gain muscle.

In my test edit, it didn't work out so well, when I tried to edit the frames together it was quite jerky and didn't match up perfectly. I need it to be super smooth. I want it to look like one continuos shot.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated! You would be my hero if you could help. What do you recommend?

Thanks, Julie

p.s. what would you call this? It's not exactly a traditional time lapse nor is it a traditional morph.
p.s.s. I am using final cut 7 and have motion, that's it. willing to buy something that will help me.

Return to posts index

Julie Steele
Pete? Pierre? Are you there? Anyone?
on Nov 23, 2009 at 1:10:03 am

Pete? Pierre? Are you there?

Anyone?

Echo?

Bueller?

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Time lapse morph type shot (Need feedback please!)
on Nov 23, 2009 at 2:32:59 am

Can you post or send two sequences - unclear how hard it is to make seamless transitions from your material (are you really running? wearing always the same outfit - hairdo?, is the camera locked-off for 3 months.. etc, the devil is in such details usually)

If it's more then 10 megs,
http://revisionfx.com/support/contact/
will reply procedure for uploading to our ftp site
(and then tell us at techsupport at revisionfx dot com)

Pierre

Return to posts index

Julie Steele
on Nov 23, 2009 at 9:06:45 am

Thanks Pierre for responding!

Camera is locked off. Same outfit. Same exact hair-do. Running to a metronome. Looking at the same spot. Everything is as perfect as I can get it. But, there is small changes that the human eye seems to be able to detect.

While I might be able to get away with one or two edits like this with a 4 frame dissolve. Having 90 different takes edited every 4 frames or so is going to be very noticeable. I'm not sure how to pull this shot off, but it has to be possible.

I'm uploading a tiny example from a test shot to show the type of discrepancies I'm wanting to avoid. You'll see clip 1 followed by clip 2 in an overlay where the edit point would have been.

The final shot should just show a smooth physical transformation, while everything else remains the same.

Please ignore the background, lighting, and color. This was just a test to look at matching running from clip 1 to clip 2

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Nov 23, 2009 at 10:13:44 pm

Can you send me two short sequences so I can try with Twixtor (use the Support contact form to get ftp instructions for us if it's over 10 megs - else mail to techsupport at revisionfx dot com)
From your render looks like your video might be with fields, essentially you would want to in-between a video fields to stich one sequence to the other using the Frame Animation mode in Twixtor - but can I just try it to think where in the run cycle would be the easiest (less visible) place to do it.

Pierre

Return to posts index

Julie Steele
Fields eh? Re: Time lapse morph type shot (Need feedback please!)
on Nov 24, 2009 at 1:29:52 am

Fields, eh?

I am shooting in 24p Progressive mode.

The video signal is recorded natively. However, the external output signal is converted to a 2:3 format, 60fps interlaced signal.

Am I better off shooting at 30P which is converted to a 60-field-per-second interlace or in 25P which is converted to a 50-field-per-second interlace?

For the 2 examples you want me to send. Which mode should I shoot them in?

This is for a theatrical full length documentary.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Fields eh? Time lapse morph type shot (Need feedback please!)
on Nov 24, 2009 at 1:42:50 am

Well in the movie you display above I see ghosting

Send me the original without conversion, resizing...

I am curious what you mean by "is converted to..." - hope you are not working in FCP in a field-based project with Progressive sources?

At the end do you want a 24P master (23.976)?

Return to posts index

Julie Steele
Re: Fields eh? Time lapse morph type shot (Need feedback please!)
on Nov 24, 2009 at 1:56:55 am

I have no idea if I am doing that in FCP or not. When I say converting I am simply re-stating what the manual says about the different recording modes.

I am using the new AG-HMR10 portable AVCHD (AVCCam) recorder by panasonic which records on SD memory card.

You said you are seeing ghosting. Are you referring to the superimposed clip I put at 50% opacity to show you the discrepancy between takes? Or something that is way above my head in understanding?

I was thinking of having the final version in 24P, but since this is the first shot that I am shooting can still change it to something else. But, I thought 24P is for theatre and 30p is for NTSC TV.

Return to posts index

Julie Steele
Re: One more devil in the detail
on Nov 23, 2009 at 7:52:36 pm

This is for a short moment in a full length documentary. What I am trying to do is make it look real, and perhaps instead of "magical" it's more demonstrating someone having to do "little to no effort" to achieve results that normally take a ton of dedication and time for everyone else.

The weight loss is only about 25lbs. From 140-115lbs. Going from flab to firm. So, it isn't biggest loser style weight loss. But, it needs to be noticeable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]