FORUMS: list search recent posts

RSMB demo, Maya 2009 and After Effects CS4 workflow

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Buttell
RSMB demo, Maya 2009 and After Effects CS4 workflow
on Jul 12, 2009 at 10:58:23 am

I'm having difficulty getting proper results.

I've been referencing this fairly in depth howto:
http://aloedesign.com/2008/12/maya-2d-motion-vectors-tutorial/4/

I setup a pretty simple scene with a sphere animating quickly from left to right, above a static floor - I'm using passes to output 2d vectors with the bty exr.

In After effects, I'm setting up a 'pre comp' and using EXtractoR to copy the 2d vector into to the appropriate R/G channels. I've applied the RSMB vector effect to the bty pass and am directing it to point to the vector precomp.

I'm getting what seems to be correct blur on the animated sphere, but the floor has a very slight (though constant) blur as well. Looking at the RGB data, I can see that the floors R and G are at 0.5020, while I'd expect them to be at 0.5 to represent zero velocity.

Secondly, from what I understand, the vector pass shouldn't be antialiased, yet it's output from Maya-mentalray via exr antialiased along with the bty. Is there an easy way to disable it for this pass, or must I render it a second time with antialiasing disabled?

In the file reference below, I've included my maya 2009 scene and after effects cs4 scene. Maya is setup to render a very fast sequence of frames that the after effects scene is looking for.
http://www.darkform.net/rsmb_prob.zip

thank you for reading and any insight you may be able to provide.
.jeremy

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: RSMB demo, Maya 2009 and After Effects CS4 workflow
on Jul 12, 2009 at 11:06:31 pm

"I'm getting what seems to be correct blur on the animated sphere, but the floor has a very slight (though constant) blur as well. Looking at the RGB data, I can see that the floors R and G are at 0.5020, while I'd expect them to be at 0.5 to represent zero velocity. "

That's because your AE project is set to 8 bpc. In 8 bpc there is no 0.50000 (it's either 127/255 of 128/255)

Don't worry about aliasing for now.

Pierre

Return to posts index

Jeremy Buttell
on Jul 12, 2009 at 11:33:48 pm

excellent, thank you. I'm new to most of the software I'm using (maya, after effects..) , so I apologize for that oversight.

That did the trick, the floor no longer has blur. I do have an aliased edge where the sphere is over the floor. I suppose that's where I should blur the sphere independently of the floor by rendering them out seperate, or is there something else potentially not setup properly?

thank you very much,
.jeremy

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Jul 13, 2009 at 1:31:47 am

send me like 3 successive frames with the color and motion vectors pass to techsupport at revisionfx.com
and the AE project and I will tell you what I think when I see it

Pierre

Return to posts index

Jeremy Buttell
on Jul 14, 2009 at 8:07:18 pm

sent, thank you for taking a look Pierre.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]