FORUMS: list search recent posts

24p to PAL conversion with Twixtor

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phelps Harmon
24p to PAL conversion with Twixtor
on Mar 12, 2009 at 1:13:35 am

I have a 90 minute film that I'd like to convert from 24p to PAL using Twixtor in After Effects. I've heard Twixtor is great at this kind of stuff but I haven't seen any directions on how to do this online. My main issue I suppose is that the quicktime master file says the film is DVCPRO HD (1080i60) with the dimensions of 1920x1080, but when I bring it into After Effects the dimensions are 1280x1080 and the frame rate is 23.976 (it was shot with the 1080 24pA setting on the HVX 200). Where would I start if I wanted to try using Twixtor to convert to PAL?

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: 24p to PAL conversion with Twixtor
on Mar 12, 2009 at 1:45:42 am

23.976 is 24P and is correct: it's 29.97002997...(30P) multiplied by 4/5
PA - Progressive Advance is a way to store 24P in a 60i camera.
Essentially it copies 2 fields twice on a frame with the assumption that whatever loads it later will strip that out.

For the aspect ratio: I am not sure why the PAR (pixel aspect ratio) is 1.5? I have seen HDV is like 1440 but never 1280...

Finally to go from 24 to 25P (PAL Progressive) people usually recommand to duplicate a frame every 24, it's not like going from 24 to 30 or 30 to 24... Most film to PAL conversion just timestretch by 25/24 even if it makes the sound 4% different. Simply drop the footage in project bin, select it and Composition|Add to Render Queue and in Render Settings Use Frame Rate 25 instead of 24.

Pierre

Return to posts index

Phelps Harmon
on Mar 12, 2009 at 2:27:08 am

interesting. so using a third party plugin like Twixtor wouldn't give me anything extra? what if I wanted to go from 24p to NTSC?

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Mar 12, 2009 at 3:24:58 am

You can use Twixtor to go from 24 to 25P if you want... but 24P or 25P to 30P or 60i :: That technique has a lot more value.

Short form: In Twixtor you set input FPS param and you set the output frame rate in the AE Comp Settings and you render.

This sort of process has some issues at cut points as the last frame of a shot is typically too completely different then the first frame of the next shot. We provide a way to mark that, but for long format "frame rate conversion" it helps a lot if the movie is already broken down in layers per shot as what happens if you import a project from Premiere or from another editing system via Automatic Duck...

there is some sample projects in the Help/Support section of Twixtor: http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/

see the jan 29 thread "Tidier workflow" below.

Pierre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]