FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 30p to 24p in AE

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin Killey
Converting 30p to 24p in AE
on Jan 30, 2009 at 10:07:07 am

Hi there, I have some video game footage that was recorded directly from the engine itself at 30p and I'm trying to determine how exactly to convert it to 24p to get that "film look."

I've been reading through the threads and one explanation is to set the video's framerate in the Input: Frame Rate field of Twixtor, then simply change the composition settings to 23.976. Is that right?

Return to posts index

Pete Litwinowicz
Re: Converting 30p to 24p in AE
on Jan 30, 2009 at 5:52:52 pm

Yes, you are correct. You could drop your 30p (which I presume is really 29.97 fps) into a 24p (really: 23.976 comp), then Add Twixtor and set Twixtor's Input: Frame Rate to 29.97. Then you can have AE render-out 29.97 footage with pulldown to get the "film look."

However, that introduces a world of studder, and opens you up to having artifacts (Twixtor will undoubtedly have some artifacts, like every other retiming software out there). I would instead simply add motion blur using ReelSmart Motion Blur to compensate for the difference in shutter speeds between video and film. Of course, many people think you must go to 24p to get the "film look", and I disagree.

You can read more about our suggestions here: http://www.revisionfx.com/support/faqs/generalfaqs/video_like_film/ The solution I propose is in step 4 (you can ignore the part that describes deinterlacing the footage since you already have 30p footage).

Cheers,
pete Litwinowicz
RE:Vision Effects, Inc.

Return to posts index

Austin Killey
on Jan 30, 2009 at 9:14:59 pm

Awesome thank you! And quick question: when creating the pulldown in the render settings, it will only allow me to do it if I select a Field Render option, with either Upper or Lower. Does either option make a difference at that point since I already have progressive footage?

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Jan 30, 2009 at 9:25:35 pm

What a pulldown is:

It takes 24P and conforms it to 60i (29.97 with fields) - for a display context that refreshes field 1, field 2, field 1, field 2,... (which looks stupid on a display that does not,example a computer screen). Where a field here is every other scanlines.

A pulldown makes 5 frames from 4 by replicating two fields - just like the old analogue telecine. It does so by on 2 of the 5 frames take the odd (line 1,3,5...) of a frame and the even scanlines of another frame. The Upper or Lower here refers to where the previous and next frame scanlines get copied to that invented frame. In NTSC land where pulldown exists (25 FPS people like Europe don't do that) you should for safety set the Pulldown to Lower first, since presumably in NTSC world the Lower scanlines are displayed 1/2 frame before the upper ones.

Pierre

Return to posts index

Austin Killey
on Jan 30, 2009 at 11:36:30 pm

Thank you Pierre, I wasn't entirely sure about it, other than simply remembering about lower field with NTSC.

Pete, when you say artifacts, do you mean the footage looking like it's interlaced again? Because here's the result I get after rendering (also used Motion Blur Pro):

http://files.filefront.com/firstpersonwmv/;13146977;/fileinfo.html

Return to posts index

Pete Litwinowicz
on Jan 30, 2009 at 11:52:17 pm

No, I was talking about tracking artifacts.

Are you trying to go to a computer display via a webpage or YouTube? If so, then you do not want to introduce interlacing, or add pulldown which will introduce interlacing.

If you are going to a computer display at the end, you do NOT want to convert to 24p and then introduce pulldown. The artifacts you are seeing are the interlacing artifacts of introducing pulldown... which should ONLY be used if you are going to NTSC output for display on an interlaced monitor, which you are clear not doing.

So I would either:
a) apply Reelsmart Motion Blur and do not change frame rates, and do not render with fields
b) apply Twixtor to go from 30p to 24p and output the movie at 24fps and do not render with fields, and do not insert pulldown. Just output a 24p movie.

pete

Return to posts index

Austin Killey
on Feb 1, 2009 at 11:23:48 pm

Thank you! And thank you Pierre as well. You've been so incredibly helpful and it means a lot. The results look fantastic, EXACTLY what I was hoping to achieve with the plug-ins. Thank you again!

Return to posts index

Mike Martinez
on Nov 2, 2009 at 5:21:49 pm

Hi there

Im playing just with Pete said and it gives me an "aproach" to what i want. Is the same for me Austin, i want to convert 30p to 24p. Which values did you put on the plugins for to achive the effect?? I mean, now the movie seems a bit slowdown, and there´s a lot of options on RSMB and Twixtor, and the blur effect is exagerated, Austin can you share the correct values for the 24p effect?

Thanks a lot.

Mike

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Nov 2, 2009 at 6:43:08 pm

You can start here:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/freitag_lori/twixtor-frame-rate-con...

The Motion Blur compensation value parameter affects how much motion blur you get

Pierre

Return to posts index

Mike Martinez
on Nov 3, 2009 at 1:04:48 am

Hi Pierre, thanks for the help. A very useful tutorial that gives me a second aproach to what i´m looking for. The result is enough good with Motion Blur Sensitivity nearly 100 and Motion Blur Compensation playing fron 1,0 to 2,0. Together with a cool color correction.

Anyway i guess if i´m not in a mistake that for to obtain a "true" realistic 24p (35mm movie effect), is not really possible with a Sony Cybershot at 30p, i mean, better to have a camera that shoots really at 24p at HD, and sure, if is possible to rent a 35mm one (it will be awesome), i mean, to try in to no "imitate" but to do it for real.

But now my movie looks much better than before. I saw on youtube some examples that looks cool, but, sure, cameras on this examples are much more expensive than mine (i´m talking about thousands and thousand of euros), so is not only a matter of software/plug-ins, i think that is more a budget thing, but for now, i´m satisfy keeping in mind with which camera i´m shooting and looking the original files obtained with this camera compared with the final results.

Really apreciated 4 the help m8, thanks.

Mike

Return to posts index

Leonard Levy
on Jun 16, 2013 at 5:52:33 am

Thanks so much for this Link.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/freitag_lori/twixtor-frame-rate-con....

I just had to convert a walk n talk sequence for a documentary that was shot on 2 XDCAM cameras with one at 23.98 (correct) and one accidentally at 29.97. This method using Twixtor and AE worked phenomenally well and my client was extremely pleased. I had also tried a method using Compressor that I found on Philip Bloom's site, but this was far better. Well worth the price of Twixtor.

Lenny Levy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]