FORUMS: list search recent posts

ref.: blur problem in morph

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
julio fernandez
ref.: blur problem in morph
on Dec 17, 2008 at 8:30:11 pm

Hi,
I hope somebody can help me. I have 2 sequences in targa files in were is the same actress with just different make up. I am using the last targa picture (1024x576 resolution from red camera) of the first shoot and the first of the second one to make the warp morph in between both photos. The problem is that during the morph process blur appears what is quite noise cause before and after the morph effect is in perfect shape. I am making the morph duratio 6 seconds...

Any idea why it is happening and how to solve it?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: ref.: blur problem in morph
on Dec 17, 2008 at 9:07:13 pm

Is there any way you can send a project to:
techsupport at revisionfx dot com

It's really hard to exactly imagine what is going on without seeing the problem - e.g. are you using Automatic Alignment? Are you using a better final render mode then LOW Quality...

Pierre
RE:Vision Effects

Return to posts index

julio fernandez
on Dec 17, 2008 at 9:25:20 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your fast answer.
I will send tomorrow the project with the 2 photos.
I am not using automatic alignment and i am using top quality in render mode.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

julio fernandez
on Dec 18, 2008 at 11:13:25 am

Pierre,
I sent to email of tech support you told me the AE project and the 2 targa stills.
I will wait your comments
Thanks for all your help

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:12:24 pm

Got it,
Sorry if this is a bit a convoluted explanation, it's a tough one...

What happens is the shirt fine pattern is hard to exactly match so it looks more blurry in the middle frames and in 6 seconds you have plenty of time to notice... Conceptually first, imagine you have 2 checkerboards, and the top one is 50% transparent, if they are not aligned, you get grey levels - which is what you perceive as blurred.

What I tried: First I tried "Auto Align" ON which made it a bit more clear but upon render it was a bit noisy, so I raised Anti-Aliasing to 2,2 (of course to judge noisy you have to look at 100%)

Now that created artifacts on the hand on the right side of the frame (well the shirt under it). Since you have all the mask splines already, you might consider 2 passes and composite the best part of each for a final. That is leave the left side of her body (right side of the frame) without Auto-Align...

Another thing about Auto-Align, it will work better if in the precomp, you don't clamp values (to see I placed in your precomp an adjustment layer, turned the project to float, and on that layer added HDR Compander with gamma 4.0). Actually I tried turning off your color correction settings in the precomp, turning up gamma in Compander and back down after RE:Flex... and it helps a bit Auto-Align. However it's still a bit blurry.

The arm on the left side of the frame has some issues as well - in the first frame, it's over the shirt and not the second frame. I would simply make a track matte for that at first and last frame that leaves an hole, and use the pixels of the last frame to make a reasonable background under her. If it was only a few frames I would say use the per shape blend feature, but your sequence is so long, that it might not work as advertised.

So you might consider: 1) doing your color correction after the effect, somehow pre-lifting the luminance before the effect, and working in float for that so you don't clamp and can remove that luminance lift after the morph 2) Applying a smoothly animated sharpen is probably an idea here, you know that the smooth frames are in the center of your morph, so there would be no sharp at first and last frame, and you set the max sharpen on the center frame so it visually matches. The key is to have a Sharpen that has a threshold value (a maximum deviation from the original) like our SmoothKit Sharpen, there might be something like that in AE, not sure.

Hope this is of some help.

Pierre

Return to posts index

julio fernandez
on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:19:55 pm

Hi again Pierre,
Ufffff... hard to swallow it but i am doing my best.... Certainly i can make the color correction at the final editing comp without problem if that helps as your suggestion.
I am little bit lost in some parts of the solution.... Is there any chance for you to send me the AE projects with your changes??? Will help me to analize more properly, i guess.
According the problem for being so long the the morphing. The main thing for me is to be long enough for the viewer not to read too fast the morphing. Means that i can try it short version of it if that will helps to the final result.... I will start to try straight away.
Thanks million for all your help and support!!!!

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:24:27 pm

Will send back the comp
The first thing to try is to try to simply sharpen the center of the morph (as long as you have a sharpen that animates smoothly and has some sort of threshold)

Pierre

Return to posts index

julio fernandez
on Dec 18, 2008 at 4:29:49 pm

Pierre,
Amazing how it looks like now!!!!! Millions of thanks... You saved my life....
I just bought the SK filter from your company to be able to apply to the comp full.
One only question: At the comp you sent to me appear the shift channels off. Shall i kept it like that?

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Dec 18, 2008 at 4:42:45 pm

No shift channel, I tried to see if it would make a difference as Auto-Align uses the luminance and a lot of the color data is blue in your case, but that does not seem to make a difference - but it did not work as well as the HDR Compander trick in this case

Also, the current SK Sharpen setup might not be the right one, was just playing (for one Multi-Res produces cool result but is slow as hell)

Pierre

Return to posts index

julio fernandez
on Dec 18, 2008 at 4:45:12 pm

To me the SK looks really well. Without it still the blur is big and with it almost does not exist any more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]