FORUMS: list search recent posts

Twixtor to recreate missing frames in a clip?

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Redfearn
Twixtor to recreate missing frames in a clip?
on Oct 14, 2008 at 12:34:59 pm

Hi,
I'm new to Twixtor and I'm trying to use it to recreate a 10 frame clip (DV PAL, deinterlaced) using only the first and last frames of the original. (This may seem like a bizarre thing to do, but humour me)

In the original clip (below) you can see the hard edges of a vehicle progressively shifting left, revealing more of the background. The Twixtored output doesn't seem to be able to recreate this, instead offering a progressive cross-fade between the two images. I've been through the documentation, and I'm assuming the settings I'm using are the most appropriate.

Obviously I'm asking a lot here, but as I have the original footage, how can I use that to 'show' Twixtor where each pixel should be? I've got it in the Alt Motion Source but it doesn't seem to help. As the input is only 2 frames, is it only referring to the first 2 frames of the Alt Motion Source?

Here's the original 10 frame clip:

Here's the Twixtored output using only frames one and ten:

Here are the settings used:

Color Source: 2 frame tif sequence
Alt Motion Source: the original 10 frame clip
FPS: 25
Motion Vectors: Best
Time Remap Mode: Speed
Speed %: 10.00
Frame interp: Blend
Warping: Inverse
Motion Blur Compensation: 3.00

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

shin kurokawa
Re: Twixtor to recreate missing frames in a clip?
on Oct 14, 2008 at 2:04:01 pm

I'd use a combination of TwixPro's splines
and roto'ed layers for this type of work.
-Shin

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Oct 14, 2008 at 5:32:17 pm

Shin is right, you probably need to the PRO version features for that sort of things

Would incrementally try:

1) animate a point (tracking point in Twixtor UI) on the center of the wheel
2) animate a vertical straight spline on the edge of the truck end
3) create another vertical straight spline on the background house that is visible in both frames (jsut outside the truck end)

See what it does. If it does not work, you might need to create a foreground matte for the truck

Pierre

Return to posts index

Philip Redfearn
on Oct 15, 2008 at 10:15:54 am

Thanks for the advice, I haven't explored the PRO version features yet. I'm assuming then that this approach will give a result more like the original 10 frame sequence rather than a cross-fade?

What I'm really trying to get at with this test is, as the original video actually contains the 'missing' frames that Twixtor is trying to create, can I use this video to guide Twixtor without having to draw or animate stuff? ie: save myself a lot of time.

Can I manipulate the video in some way and use it as an Alt Motion Source? As I have it set up currently, Twixtor seems to be ignoring the Alt Motion Source, or is it just unable to read straight DV footage?

Is there any way I can capitalize on having the original source video?

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Oct 15, 2008 at 4:49:00 pm

I think what you are asking is: can you use twixtor to move a texture using the motion computed from the video. The short answer is no.

Alt motion source is for a different purpose: for example to play with contrast etc to help the tracking, or if you cut arbitrary mattes so you can use the original video source to track.

Pierre

Return to posts index

Philip Redfearn
on Oct 15, 2008 at 5:11:47 pm

Ah, I was a bit unclear on what the Alt motion source was about, but that seems quite clear, thanks.

Basically, what I'm trying to research is this.

I'm working on a film restoration, and I have two copies of the same film. One looks great, but the film's been broken and it's missing a few frames here and there. The other is a poor multigeneration copy, but is complete.

Cutting the missing frames into the good copy looks very distracting, so I wondered if Twixtor could be used to create new frames using the poorer frames as reference - those frames of course having the exact geography required.

So it seems the answer's no then, I need to draw on splines and stuff.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Oct 15, 2008 at 5:33:06 pm

I see,
it's a good problem.
You might have more luck with RE:Flex for that to start once you get on such large gaps. You might consider discussing your problem with Shin offline as Shin both understands our tools and has restoration experience and it seems there is probably not a solution fits all for your problem.

Pierre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]