FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vignette and color shift in FCP when adding Deinterlace.

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoot Nel
Vignette and color shift in FCP when adding Deinterlace.
on Aug 19, 2008 at 2:30:07 pm

Hallo,

I am editing a project in FCP and decided to apply de-interlacing with Fieldskit to create 720p for Vimeo.

The original footage was shot in 1080i-50. I then scaled it down to 720i and then converted to 720p with fieldskit.

The problem occurs when I choose the de-interlacer in FCP after the material has been scaled down to 720i.

I have a vignette and 3-way color corrections applied to the footage.
When I ad the de-interlacer at the bottom of the list of effects in FCP the color shifts (becomes lighter) and the vignette also seems to shift . The video becomes lighter.. I had a look on the RGB parade and when I apply the de-interlacer the high range is clipped and the mid range seems to shift up.

Thank you for any advice you might have.

Zoot Nel

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
Re: Vignette and color shift in FCP when adding Deinterlace.
on Aug 19, 2008 at 4:50:47 pm

I'm guessing that the footage may be 10 bit yuv? If so, this could be the source of the problem. Being an After Effects Plugin, FieldsKit Deinterlacer can only work in 8 bpc (this is problem with FCP's implementation of the After Effects plugin architecture and is nothing we can change). You can always send us a 4 or 5 frame sequence (using the original 1080i footage, not the scaled down footage), and an FCP project that shows the problem. You can send that to us at techsupport (at) revisionfx (dot) com.

Also, I would deinterlace the 1080i footage footage first and then scale the 1080p footage to 720p. You will get MUCH better results. Of course the color shift may still show itself, due to the limitation I refer to above.

Pete
http://www.revisionfx.com

Return to posts index

Zoot Nel
on Sep 16, 2008 at 2:28:06 pm

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your response.
I will send you a sample of the project. I switched to 1080i and disabled 10 bit yuv. Unfortunately the vignette and 3-way color correction still shift.

Zoot

Zoot Nel

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 18, 2008 at 4:39:53 am

AE has a way to get around this. Go to Effects->utility
The HDR Compander (compressor/expander) works with 16 to 8 bit too. Read how to use it in AE help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]