FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help for DE:Noise?

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerald Stokes
Help for DE:Noise?
on Jul 21, 2008 at 9:25:51 pm

Hello,

Want to make sure I am in the right place. I have questions regarding the RE:Vision plug for DE:Noise

GS

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Help for DE:Noise?
on Jul 21, 2008 at 9:48:07 pm

Here or techsupport@revisionfx.com

Pierre

Return to posts index

Gerald Stokes
on Jul 22, 2008 at 3:40:14 am

Ok, I'll give this a shot

I have some John Lennon footage I want to restore. I have a 48min NTSC DVD made off a 3/4" Pal U-matic tape. The video is now 29.9 interlaced even though the original source is 24 frame Progressive film source. This in itself has caused problems, but this thing needs a lot of restoration. It runs off speed, has a lot of video drop-outs. Has serious video/color noise issues, and was transferred mis-framed. I have several RE:Vision plug-ins in After Effects CS3 to use. I have been trying DE:Noise for about a week now, making all kinds of tests and it's very frustrating to say the least. There are several options to clean the video using the temporal settings. Average, 2 most similar pixels etc. It seems no matter what settings I use, I get severe artifacts. I am first trying to remove the random drop-outs. The drop-outs a mostly a 1 frame damage, but some are on 2-3 frames. I know this plug-in uses the frame before and the frame after to repair. The most logical setting would be 2 most similar pixels and it takes a look before and after and removes the difference. What I get when I use this setting, is some horrible artifacting. I try lowering/raising the settings and no luck. I am not 100% sure what the frame check box is for. But I tried both ways on this setting. It seems the only temporal setting I can use without serious artifacts is the average mode. This really cleans up the video, but makes a 1 frame drop-out last 3 frames now! As this setting averages the 3 frames. I wonder if this is an Interlace issue? Again I have read the manual over and over, tried all the different modes and settings and seem to get this artifacting on each setting except the "Average" mode.

I have some samples of this video and what De:noise does to it in the 2 most similar pixel mode. Any Help/advice would be so appreciated

Gerald
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh224/beatles12345/

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Jul 22, 2008 at 8:57:34 pm

I could take an half dozen frames at techsupport@revisionfx.com to provide more educated comments

1) yes you need to remove any pulldown (duplicated frames) if there are in the footage at 29.97 so you work at 24P

2) logical modes such as "Most 2 similar" and Min (if drop out is black) are what you need for single frame drop outs. Make sure as well you play with the Temporal Threshold value.

I have seen cases such as with Dust on film where I had to do 2 passes of DE:Noise, first a pass like "Most 2 similar" with Temporal Threshold at 100%, then a pass with Average with Temporal Threshold at a small value.

Pierre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]