FORUMS: list search recent posts

Applying motion blur to each layer or to a top adjustment layer?

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Scott
Applying motion blur to each layer or to a top adjustment layer?
on Apr 17, 2008 at 12:44:25 pm

Hi all,

I am currently working on a promo sequence with lots of logos and text in a 3d (particle playground) starfield with the camera twisting and moving about them in all dimensions.

With regards to motion blur, I have always previously applied CC Force Motion Blur to an adjustment layer at the top to affect everything below it.

Having now made the transition to Reelsmart due to a preference for the blur quality and speed, I am having an issue whereby there seem to be points in the sequence where the blur is very stop/start or on/off - especially when there are elements flying in front of each other. Is this because there is just too much going on for that top adjustment layer blur to figure it all out accurately?

Would it be advisable to instead apply the Reelsmart Motion Blur effect to each individual layer?

My other reason for choosing Reelsmart was a (perceived?) massive increase in rendering speed - would this result in a massive increase in rendering time as opposed to having one 'master' blur in the top adjustment layer?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ben

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
Re: Applying motion blur to each layer or to a top adjustment layer?
on Apr 17, 2008 at 11:56:29 pm

[Ben Scott] "Would it be advisable to instead apply the Reelsmart Motion Blur effect to each individual layer? "

YES! As you have found out, ReelSmart Motion Blur has trouble tracking when there are multiple objects crossing. The more you can separate layers and apply RMSB to each layer the better.

Of course, you will pay a rendering hit, but I think that's infinitely preferable to the problems in tracking that you are seeing. There may be times when you can apply RSMB to an adjustment layer, but it sounds like in the example you currently have that this is not the way to go.
Pete
http://www.revisionfx.com

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
Re: Applying motion blur to each layer or to a top adjustment layer?
on Apr 18, 2008 at 12:11:47 pm

Thanks for the speedy response Pete. Will set it off rendering and go shopping I think!

Will post how it goes.

Regards,

Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]