FORUMS: list search recent posts

Satellite Zoom... Effect? Stock Video?

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Holly Santiago
Satellite Zoom... Effect? Stock Video?
on Apr 1, 2008 at 5:14:37 pm

A client would like to open their show with a precise location (a small town in Central Minnesota) pointed out as one would see on network news stations (the effect has been used in a lot of the war coverage). This might best be described as a "Satellite zoom" or a "Google Earth zoom". As if a camera were starting in outer space (beginning with a distant picture of the Earth, all the continents in-view) and zooming into a specific town (streets/cars/buildings/etc in-view).

Can the effect be achieved with hi-res satellite stills, or a unique software program, maybe one could even purchase pictures from NASA/Google? Searches thus far have led me to some pretty obscure places and I'm hoping that someone out there has a better idea of where to find the "Satellite zoom effect". I would appreciate any insight on this!

Thank you very much,
Holly

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Pierre Jasmin
Re: Satellite Zoom... Effect? Stock Video?
on Apr 1, 2008 at 7:20:31 pm

Something is possible if you have large res stills by chain morphing (by which I mean animate stills scaling so they match with step dissolves and then replace the dissolves once the timing is fine with morphing)

I am not sure where to get stills for that, you might want to look into Google earth PRO which can generate the movie I think for you

http://earth.google.com/earth_pro.html

and maybe you just make a painting to morph to for the finest close up

Pierre

Return to posts index

Holly Santiago
on Apr 2, 2008 at 3:15:04 pm

Thank you Pierre,
I see that with the "pro" version, one could work with high-res stills AND download (lesser-quality) video for a fair subscription price. Your suggestion is very helpful!

(But... I'm still willing to hear from anyone who knows of a service that offers the high-res-custom-made-"satellite zoom" effect. Please post if you ever run across it!)

Return to posts index

Holly Santiago
on Apr 8, 2008 at 4:26:37 pm

Now that I've downloaded and begun using Google Earth Pro, I see that you are able to export video files (for Windows and Mac) with a range of options. The user can set locations, views, angles, "zooming" speeds, labeling, etc. Upon exporting (creating) the movie, you can choose compressors, frame rates, SD/HD, etc.
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you Pierre for the recommendation!

Holly

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Apr 10, 2008 at 2:12:52 am

This should get you where you want all within After Effects:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials.html?id=15

Return to posts index

Holly Santiago
on Apr 15, 2008 at 8:13:43 pm

Another helpful (and humorous) link, thank you!
Holly

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]