<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Rixner
Can You show me the advantages please ?
on Mar 22, 2008 at 8:26:46 pm

Hello :)

i tried the demoversion of Fieldskit on identical shots that had
1. a simple vertical fast blur of 1 pixel
2. the fields kit motion detected deinterlacing
3. the built in Aftereffects deinterlacer (preserve edges option)

and I have to say that fieldskit and the preserve edges of aftereffects give me the same good results. both better that fields blending with fastblur.

ok. So what are the advantages of fields kit then ? I am pretty sure there are some. for some unknown reason I would like to buy fieldskit to get the best possible progressive Frames from my interlaced footage. But still my problem is: I cannot ses fieldkit do it better than onboard aftereffects.

So could you please convince me to get fieldskit by telling me how or where to see differences or other advantages ?

Thanks!

Peter

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Can You show me the advantages please ?
on Mar 24, 2008 at 7:55:54 pm

I noticed AE CS3 improved that option and on certain shots the Deinterlacer will provide similar results yes , AE is actually more virtuous in terms of workflow in that domain then most applications (eg Premiere) as it supports comps of various frame rates... We're perfectly happy if you need this only 10% of the time.

That said of the top of my head consider:
- Exposure of all controls so you can tweak it to your taste.
- Available as an effect so (in combination with the other tools in FieldsKit) you can deal with complicated special cases elegantly, or workflow where you might want to process before deinterlacing, process lower and upper clips as separate sequence or combine this with other tools as discussed in a thread below (before or after). A dumb example would be a green screen shot which you might want to prekey before deinterlacing if you have fine objects... ETC
- Minor: Allow you to view fields in an AE comp (by turning on or off effect)
- Animatable (so you can deal with things like cadence change or transcoding error, handle cut points)...
- Support for motion estimation mode (not always worth it given it takes much more time, but an hardware box like Teranex charges a premium just for that option)

Pierre

Return to posts index

Peter Rixner
on Mar 24, 2008 at 9:15:33 pm

Thanks!

Meanwhile I am a proud owner of a fieldskit license :)
It's really nice and can most of the time give better results than aftereffects.

Some workflow things still are not 100% clear.

In general: The Premiere Preview Window behaves so crappy that it's hard to tell whats happening. But by systematic experiments I found a way to get good results.

Seems like the only way to work is Aftereffetcs, where one can see the Ttruth in the Preview Window at 100%.

Is my workflow right, that I import a interlaced clip, then interpret it as "no fields" (to avoid any aftereffetcs deinterlacing) and then apply fieldskit ?

One other thing (which is not a fieldskit problem but maybe You know) is, that when I deinterlace and then make a standard DVD, which per standard only knows interlaced material, isn't there the danger that applications (thinking it's still interlaced from the standard) do another deinterlacing ?

Anyhow, so far I am happy with You product. Thanks again!

Peter

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Mar 25, 2008 at 7:38:24 pm

"Some workflow things still are not 100% clear.

In general: The Premiere Preview Window behaves so crappy that it's hard to tell whats happening. But by systematic experiments I found a way to get good results.

Seems like the only way to work is Aftereffetcs, where one can see the Ttruth in the Preview Window at 100%.
"

Do you mean Premiere? In Premiere at 100% and when you render it shows you the result and at other res only a field - do not believe what you see at not 100% -- it might be clunky but that's how Premiere works. What I recommand to test arbitrary workflow in Premiere, is to in AE make a number sequence 1,1.5,2,2.5 where the .5 are a color and the first field another color then play with dropping the footage in a nested sequence apply FieldsKit there and drop that nested sequence back on your main timeline. I haven't check recently but there was an issue in Premiere (at least still in CS2) and filters that use more then a pixel at a time (like a blur) in general that FieldsKit might help with. As in if you apply a blur on that sequence and first field is red and second field is green, you will get yellow, as opposed to red for first field scanlines and green for second field scanlines. I think it might work in a Premiere project to apply the deinterlacer in the nested sequence and then the reinterlacer back on the main timeline for that sequence. Am I clear?

"
Is my workflow right, that I import a interlaced clip, then interpret it as "no fields" (to avoid any aftereffetcs deinterlacing) and then apply fieldskit ?
"

In FK 2.0 you should not need to set interlace in Interpret Footage, we get both fields anyway, the only difference is a bit of time saved as both us and AE will deinterlace, and the AE step we undo.

"
One other thing (which is not a fieldskit problem but maybe You know) is, that when I deinterlace and then make a standard DVD, which per standard only knows interlaced material, isn't there the danger that applications (thinking it's still interlaced from the standard) do another deinterlacing ?
"

Not that I am aware of.

Pierre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]