FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you create a foreground matte in FCP with Twixtor Pro?!

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Ray
How do you create a foreground matte in FCP with Twixtor Pro?!
on Dec 20, 2007 at 11:28:27 pm

I'm new to the whole Twixtor thing, and I've read all the tutorials and downloaded all the so called "examples" but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do a simple foreground matte. In all the tutorials I've read they simply address the situation as if creating a matte is a non-issue.

For example, the "video tutorial" that ReVision FX has on their website is of a guy wiping his nose. The "gloopiness" appears, so they make a separate matte (where his hand is white, background black), and then voila! Somehow the end result fixes the issue.

I've got a lot of footage that requires separate mattes, but I can't find a step-by-step/take my hand and show me like I'm a child type explanation on how to do this.

I'm really stressed that I can't even manage to get this simple task done, so if anyone would like to take a moment and show my uninformed self how to do this, I'd GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
Re: How do you create a foreground matte in FCP with Twixtor Pro?!
on Dec 20, 2007 at 11:57:29 pm

Hello there,

Mattes are created, usually, by software that allows you to draw or use curved lines to outline areas of the images (also called rotoscoping). Unfortunately, while you can USE such mattes within Twixtor, Twixtor is not responsible for creating such mattes. You must provide the mattes that are created elsewhere. Unfortunately, FCP is also not a good place to create such mattes as far I understand (while FCP is good at editing, it is not the best place to do rotoscoping).

I would advise asking this question in the FCP forum about what techniques and software people THERE use to do their rotoscoping.

Here at RE:Vision Effects, for example, we use a variety of software (other than FCP) to do our rotoscoping: most notably we use After Effects or combustion.

I know this is not much help, but ask this question in the FCP forum and I'm guessing you'll get lots of good pointers.

Pete Litwinowicz
RE:Vision Effects, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]