FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fieldskit Deinterlacer: 2 questions

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SSGGMM
Fieldskit Deinterlacer: 2 questions
on Mar 10, 2007 at 5:19:52 pm

Regarding how to setup my AE Pro 7 for use with Fieldskit. Revisionfx support FAQ states: "the Separate Fields feature of After Effects for source material should be set as is appropriate for the footage." In my case, that's Lower first. But I've also been told by reliable sources to set it to "none". Can someone clarify this for me?

A second question: The material I'm deinterlacing was shot in front of a greenscreen. Do I need to render out the deinterlaced footage before keying out the green, or would a pre-comp suffice?

Let me clarify this last question: I need to deinterlace BEFORE I key out the green.

Thanks for any help - S.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Fieldskit Deinterlacer: 2 questions
on Mar 10, 2007 at 8:34:51 pm

I see our FAQ about fields removed the tidbit about fieldkit and only talk about Twixtor now

In theory both should work (setting it or not in AE - there is a slight performance hit if you deinterlace in AE then FieldsKit), however in practice in this case since you want to key, to avoid problems with interpolated values, you might be better to set in AE to NONE, Key interlaced footage then deinterlace with FieldsKit. You will then need to drop comp1 (where you key) into comp2 where you do FK then.

Pierre

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Mar 10, 2007 at 9:38:39 pm

You're kidding me. It's better to key out the green first? I've never had the pleasure of keying an interlaced frame with wild movement in it before, but it's a pleasure I could do without, frankly. Please tell me I have options here.

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Mar 11, 2007 at 8:00:48 pm

Now breathe. You definitely have options.

First: FieldsKit works with either setting of "NONE" or the appropriate field-separation set in AE's interpret footage. Our older versions required you to set the interpret footage to NON.

You can do what Pierre suggested, but you can also do the following: set the footage to it's appropriate field-ness in AE's interpret footage. Drop the footage into a 59.94 (or 50) fps comp. That way you can see all fields, deinterlaced. Then you can key and then apply FieldsKit (making sure to use the =1 Frame per Field, 2x FPS setting), or you can apply FieldsKit first and then key. Whichever works for you and gives you better results.

Pete
http://www.revisionfx.com

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Mar 11, 2007 at 8:02:47 pm

Also,I gave you instructions to key if you didn't need 30p (25p) out at the end. I was giving you instructions in case you need to have interlaced footage at the end and need each field deinterlaced.

if you need deinterlaced footage at the end then drop the footage into a 30 (25) fps comp and use one of deinterlacing settings of FieldsKit to give 1 frame per frame. You can key before or after the application of FieldsKit, whichever gives you better results.

pete

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Mar 11, 2007 at 8:49:47 pm

Good, good, good. Understood. I have another quick question: I'm animating "fill method" to deinterlace only specific frames. But I'm also masking with "detect motion". Should I animate "detect motion" as well, or is the function simply ignored when "fill method" is set to none?

I ask because I happened to notice that "smooth" and "sharpen" DO need to be animated. The two features don't shut down automatically under "fill method none".

Fun plugin by the way.

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Mar 12, 2007 at 12:46:34 am

The detect motion setting is ignored when the Fill Method is None.

The reason that Smooth and Sharpen is not ignored is that you just might want to have the deinterlacing be similar across all frames, even when you aren't deinterlacing with our interpolation methods.

Pete

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]