FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fields Kit in Premier 2.0

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peppie
Fields Kit in Premier 2.0
on Feb 20, 2007 at 10:54:28 pm

Have just obtained the trial version of Fields Kit looking for "good" deinterlacing. I have only so far done a couple of short trials applying the deinterlacer to clips in the Premier timeline without being too fussy about settings. So far it seems to work well. My main question is that having done this on one occasion I then proceeded to burn 6 mins of clips to a RW DVD within Premier and it took something like 6 times normal to transcode before burning.
The disc looks fine but just took a while. Is this typical, or has it something to do with the settings of the deinterlacer or a result maybe of the trial version?

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
Re: Fields Kit in Premier 2.0
on Feb 20, 2007 at 11:51:52 pm

I'm guessing that the 6x time is about right, but I don't know what your settings are.

if you set the Timing Mode to "=1 frame per frame" and set the Fill Method to "none" and Detect Motion to "None" and Smooth Vertically to 0.0 and Sharpen to 0.0 you should get results that are about the same time to compute as if you didn't apply the plugin at all.

Of course, those settings do nothing (so I'm just trying to gauge if you are having a problem with Premiere Pro and our plugin with those settings).

And no, the trial version is not compute limited in any way.

Pete Litwinowicz
http://www.revisionfx.com

Return to posts index

peppie
on Feb 22, 2007 at 10:21:02 am

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Peter. But it really wasn't fair of me to post such a half baked question about the deinterlacer without something to back it up. So I have been and done some decent testing to satisfy me just what is happening. This was all done on a Pentium 4 3.2Ghz machine.

I am not too familiar yet with the deinterlacer settings and what they do. So here is my best bet. I set up some short clips on a Premier timeline. One a 6 min clip that I applied the deinterlacer to as below. plus a 1 min clip left alone as a control. This without any effects applied burnt to a DVD in 12 mins.

With the deinterlacer applied (to the first 6 mins) with the min settings suggested, Timing Mode 1 frame per frame, Fill Method none, Detect Motion none, Smooth Vertical and Sharpen 0.0. It took 43 mins to burn to a DVD. With settings of Timing Mode 1 frame per frame, Fill Method blend, Detect Motion 3 frames, Detect Method large area, Smooth Vertical and Sharpen 0.0. It took 84 mins to burn to a DVD. All the above being after rendering the timeline. (I didn't record those times.)

I applied the later settings above to a 6 min clip by itself and it took 80 mins to render the effect on the timeline and another 78 mins to render that out as a Movie export to an AVI file. Just as a check, when that file was then placed on another timeline and burnt to a DVD it took 10 mins.

Now here is the interesting part. I wanted to also trial the deinterlacer in After Effects to see which might be the better workflow. A similar clip was set up in AE with the same (later) settings above and set to render to a Microsoft AVI file in the same PAL 25 fps of the original. It rendered in a total of 37 mins, played very well on my test hardware DVD player and CRT TV and when I placed that on a Premier timeline as a final test it burnt to a DVD in 10 mins.

I have had no real problems with Premier as used here, being very well behaved otherwise. The only possible problem is that the clips I used all came from a section of captured video which has a strange problem (I am assuming) with field order that is only corrected by deinterlacing. Hence the exercise. But maybe none of this has any bearing on the above times at all.

I would be very interested in your comments on these tests and my question to you would be whether in fact After Effects is a more powerful and effective engine to use for this type of processing. It certainly was faster.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Feb 22, 2007 at 8:17:47 pm

Send me a 5 second source clip with your project at techsupport@revisionfx.com so I can do the same test

When using an AE effect in Premiere it triggers a bunch of things in Premiere such as 2 or 3 frames depending on your setting getting a YUV to RGB conversion in Premiere and the output then doing an RGB to YUV conversion back to Premiere (actually 2 times as it calls us per field then)...

Pierre

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Feb 22, 2007 at 1:11:56 pm

I'd love to see Fieldskit use the GPU power in the NVidia 8800 GTX cards for faster rendering.

Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]