FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deinterlace and uprez DVCam, Dig8 for HD project

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pjletofsky
Deinterlace and uprez DVCam, Dig8 for HD project
on Jan 3, 2007 at 1:19:08 am

I'm integrating multiple formats into a documentary and am seeking workflow advice. I'm looking at FieldsKit, and the Magic Bullet suite to deinterlace and bring my dvcam and dig8 footage into my Avid 720 24p project (shot with the panasonic HVX200).
The SD footage is 29.97 (which I have to bring to 23.976) and Red Giant's Instant HD needs the footage to be deinterlaced. I'm also using After Effects and wondering how the deinterlacing tools from Virtual Dub, After Effects, Red Giant and FieldsKit compare......Any real world experiences to share?

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Deinterlace and uprez DVCam, Dig8 for HD project
on Jan 4, 2007 at 7:19:41 am

I can't compare these products but:
* FieldsKit just deinterlaces, it does not do 29.97 to 24 other then by dropping fields via pulldown remove...
And you do want to deinterlace before you resize, and probably as well retime before you bump up res.
* Twixtor does true conversion from 29.97P/59.94i to 24P but you might need to animate the shot boundary menu to mark cuts in source footage (I am saying in case you have hours of footage, not too long but not automatic).

Pierre

Return to posts index

pjletofsky
on Jan 7, 2007 at 5:37:45 am

Thanks Pierre,
I've been doing some experimenting with After Effects, and Virtual Dub. I've read some good things about FieldsKit so I'm gonna try it. And then Magic Bullet....

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 13, 2007 at 9:00:39 am

Definitely try FieldsKit for de-interlacing, IMHO it's the best out there. We are using it a lot for SD <-> HD conversions in tests at our university research institute.
For enlarging SD to HD, give Instant HD (Red Giant) or ReSizer (Digital Anarchy) a try. Both are very close in quality, but Instant HD is cheaper, while ReSizer is faster. BTW, ReSizer includes a de-interlacer, feel free to compare it to FieldsKit. IMHO, it's awfully slow while it still doesn't match the quality.

We have settled on ReSizer 2.1 plus FieldsKit, and the results are the best you can get this side of a serious hardware converter, the Teranex Mini, starting from 3 K$...

Regards,

Uli

Author of "DVDs gestalten und produzieren", a book on professional DVD-authoring in German.

Return to posts index

Anmol Mishra
on Apr 27, 2008 at 7:09:43 am

Hi! I was hunting for a good uprez solution as well..I found the toolfarm listing of various options (Hope its not against policy to post a link :-) )
http://toolfarm.com/plugins/index.php/Up_Res_(SD_to_HD_conversion_Choices)

The description for Deemon SuperResolution seems interesting..But I could not find reviews - is there anyone who has tried it out for uprezzing ??
It seems to also get uprez information from different frames and not just a single frame..So it may add resolution to a video file..

There were also other options including ones from Boris, and some others I had never heard of..

Opinions are most welcome..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]