FORUMS: list search recent posts

Twixtor for FCP 30i>60p>24p???

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
juicey5
Twixtor for FCP 30i>60p>24p???
on Oct 27, 2006 at 8:02:29 pm

Hi there,

I am an editor/producer of a doc that is preparing to go to film.

I have read a lot of great reviews about re:vision's Twixtor and Field Kit products but I thought I'd throw this out to the board.

OUR STORY:

We shot StandardDef NTSC interlaced.

We blew up our SD master to Hi Def (using a terranex - remaining interlaced) and then color corected in Hi Def.

To get to 24p we did a hardward frame-rate conversion of the show through a Terranex that obviously created a lot of jitter in many of our shots.

We are now attempting to take our interlaced Uncompressed Hi Def footage (in a FCP v5 project) and use your "Field Kit" to De-interlace to 60p and then your "Twixtor Pro" to convert from 60p to 24p - hoping that Twixtor will smoothe out a lot of the jittery shots or at least improve upon the hardware Terranex approach of simply chopping out 6 frames per second...

MY questions are:

1) Does what we're doing make sense? Is there a more intelligent approach? Do we benefit by performing the steps separately?

2) Does each step (1 field kit and 2 Twixtor frame rate conversion) require exporting an entire copy of the movie in HD uncompressed? Does that mean we will need enough storage for 2 more uncompressed copies of our film?

3) Is doing this in HD Uncompressed going to take more time than working in an HDCAM sequence or is it just a storage issue?

4) Can anyone guess the time it would take to do this 2 part process to our entire 79 minute movie in HD?

I have a Dual 2GHz Power PC G5 with 1GB DDR SDRAM.

5) Do you know anyone in the LA area or anywhere else who does this kind of thing professionally?

My background is in film and I don't know anyone who deals with this kind of stuff.

Our schedule is very tight and it would help us a quite a bit to have a consultant or adviser in this process. A vendor with a render farm would of course be even better.

Hope I'm not imposing too much but I'm flying pretty blind here.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Our film is actually a pretty good cause...

Cheers,

Jim Bruce

http://www.refugeeallstars.org

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Twixtor for FCP 30i>60p>24p???
on Oct 31, 2006 at 5:32:57 am

Bruce did you find someone to help you out ?

Pierre
RE:Vision Effects

Return to posts index

juicey5
on Oct 31, 2006 at 6:20:56 am

Hi Pierre,

I'm still knee deep in things but have gotten some advice from various corners.

Thanks for referring me to Alan. He and I traded emails and there's a possibility his company might contract to do a shot or 2.

Right now I'm discovering new possibilities in the hardware world and trying to nail down the company we'll record our negative with and work backwords from there...

Along those lines are you familiar with the Alchemist Box? Ph.C? Platinum? DEFT+?

I've been looking into these possibilities vs. the Terranex.

I wish there was something in between the realtime Terranex and the fantastic but very SLOW Twixtor.

I'll keep the thread updated when I find out more.

Thanks again for your help;

Jim

Return to posts index

Countdown
on Jan 29, 2007 at 3:41:29 pm

[juicey5] "I'll keep the thread updated when I find out more."

What was your solution?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]