FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fields Kit Workflow

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
West Wing
Fields Kit Workflow
on Sep 23, 2006 at 7:13:40 pm

Hi

I'm a bit of a newbie editor and I'm having a few difficulties understanding how to use the Fields Kit with FCP. I am looking to purcahse Twixtor, and it mentions using Fields Kit first to maximize the quality of de-interlacing. I want to do some convincing slo-mo's on FCP and don't really understand the Fields Kit workflow, despite reading the documentation? Apologies for my ignorance!

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
Re: Fields Kit Workflow
on Sep 25, 2006 at 5:08:31 pm

I will assume you were successful in apply FieldsKit to get deinterlaced frames. If not, post again and I'll describe that process.

To get the best results do this:

First: drop your clip into a sequence. Extend the sequence to the length you want the resulting clip by adding a noise generator (use FCP's built-in generator). For example, if you want to make your clip 3x slower, and your clip is 10 seconds, then you'd drop your clip into the sequence (10 seconds) followed by 20 seconds of noise. You can read more about why you need to do this here: http://www.revisionfx.com/auxdocs/ExtendDuration.htm

Second: drop this first sequence into another sequence. Apply FieldsKit Deinterlacer. To get the best results you want to make a FRAME for each FIELD in the input. This will make the clip 2x as long as the original (because you are making a frame from each field). Make sure to set FieldsKit's "Timing Mode" to ">2x Duration, 1 Frame Per Field." Tweak the other settings to get the best possible deinterlaced frames as possible (the settings will vary depending on the footage).

Third: apply Twixtor. make sure to set the Input:Fields to "None" (because we've made progressive frames by applying FieldsKit) and the Input:Frame Rate to 29.97. The trick: because you've extended the original footage by 2x using FieldsKit, you need to multiply the real speed you want your original footage to be by 0.5. For example, if you want to run the footage at 50%, then you need to set the speed to 25%.

------
A final note: if you are using demo versions of FieldsKit, then Twixtor will not perform as expected. Why? The "X" that we place on the footage when in demo mode will cause Twixtor to track the "X" and try to keep it in place. However, you can try Twixtor and FieldsKit independently and if you find you can get both to work as you like, then you can purchase FieldsKit to then try the combination of FieldsKit and Twixtor to see if the results are better than Twixtor alone (which I suspect they will be).

---

Let us know if you have any other questions,
Pete Litwinowicz
RE:Vision Effects, inc.

Return to posts index

Simon D
on Sep 25, 2006 at 5:27:41 pm

Peter

Thankyou very much for your response. I understand how to apply the Fields Kit de-interlacer and using the noise generator to extand the clip. I just have a couple of questions regarding the sequence settings.

Firstly, I am working with PAL interlaced footage.

By this do you mean nest the items? Or literally grab the sequnce from the browser in FCP and place it into a new sequence?

Should the Field Dominance be set to 'None' in the settings of the new sequence?

I have a few more questions, but I will leave those for the moment.

Many thanks in advance

Simon

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Sep 25, 2006 at 6:24:09 pm

[Simon D] "By this do you mean nest the items? Or literally grab the sequnce from the browser in FCP and place it into a new sequence?

You need to nest the items:

Place FieldsKit in a sequence, add noise. Call this sequence, sequence 1.
Put sequence 1 into sequence 2. Apply FieldsKit to Sequence 1 inside of Sequence 2. Then apply Twixtor on top of FieldsKit (on Seq 1 inside of Seq 2).
Does this help?

Should the Field Dominance be set to 'None' in the settings of the new sequence?
That's your choice. If you just apply FieldsKit, then the Field Dominance is best set to "None" becuase you are producting full progressive frames. If you apply FieldsKit + Twixtor, then setting setting the Field Domindance to "none" will create progressive frames, where setting the FIeld Dominance to "lower" or "upper" will create inbetweens at each field (and you'll get twice as many time samples from Twixtor to produce smoother motion).

Pete

Return to posts index

Simon D
on Sep 25, 2006 at 6:47:31 pm

OK

Apologies, but I'm still slightly confused.

>Place FieldsKit in a sequence, add noise. Call this sequence, sequence 1.
>Put sequence 1 into sequence 2. Apply FieldsKit to Sequence 1 inside of Sequence 2. Then apply Twixtor on top of FieldsKit (on Seq 1 inside of Seq 2).
>Does this help?

Nest the sequence (source footage and noise)? Then take that nest and place it in a new sequence? Is that correct?

How do you apply the fieldkit to the nest inside of another sequence? Is it -View- Sequence- from the FCP menu.?

Why do you need 2 sequences, when the sequence has already been nested?

What I have done so far is: source clip and noise into sequence at correct length. Nested that sequence. Choose -View -Sequence- from the Menu to show me the sequence in the viewer and applied Fields Kit and then Twixtor.

Is that OK

Thanks

Simon

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Sep 25, 2006 at 7:31:37 pm

[Simon D] "What I have done so far is: source clip and noise into sequence at correct length. Nested that sequence. Choose -View -Sequence- from the Menu to show me the sequence in the viewer and applied Fields Kit and then Twixtor."

Yes this is correct. If you continue to have trouble, send us the FCP project (without footage) and we can take a look. You can send it to techsupport@revisionfx.com

Pete

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]