FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particular: emit same particles from several layers collectively

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Hammers
Particular: emit same particles from several layers collectively
on Aug 17, 2016 at 3:10:26 pm

Is it possible to emit particles from multiple 3D layers in one go, like from lights, where user can manipulate each emitting layer's scale/size individually? Lights unfortunately don't have a scale property.

Nh

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Particular: emit same particles from several layers collectively
on Aug 17, 2016 at 4:39:38 pm

Please expand upon what you are trying to achieve. One similar option is using a Layer emitter which you can visually divide into many parts with transparent areas in between, but they'll still all be on the same plane.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Neil Hammers
on Aug 17, 2016 at 6:46:04 pm

Hi Kalle,
I have around 15 of 3D layers stacked in a form of oldish wooden building, that I have to make burn, still it is not burning uniformly and its already looks like each surface is going to have own "Lightness->Size" + 2 versions of Particular (fire, smoke and sparks, obviously). So I am looking toward simplifying controls.

Nh

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 17, 2016 at 7:45:58 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Aug 17, 2016 at 7:49:01 pm

I think you could make a precomp from a duplicate of the 3D layers which has the areas you want as white and rest transparent and use that as particle source with Layer emitter. Probably have to parent that to the camera if the camera is moving.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Neil Hammers
on Aug 17, 2016 at 10:21:13 pm

Kalle thanks,
Interesting idea about creating luma comp, however will Particular take in account the depth and normals of pixels of emitting area? Yes, the camera dollies and trucks toward the building. As far as I've tried, the Particular does not understand 3D comps with collapsed transforms more than XYZ position.. what would be use of parenting anything to a camera in this case?
At the moment I got my fire sample applied to a single edge of the roof and now I've got a head scratcher on how to scale down entire simulation (particle and aux sizes, velocities, physics etc in 3 Particulars) so it fits the scale of the building.. obviously there is no possibility to link this with expressions to some custom global control.
10428_barnfire.jpg.zip
Anyways, tomorrow.

Nh

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 18, 2016 at 6:57:37 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Aug 18, 2016 at 7:05:04 am

It would be a 2D-ish (in terms of Particular origin depth) effect that would match up in placement with the 3D animation. For additional depth, or for control of the direction in which the particles start, you could split it into 2 or 3 Particular layers, each with elements at different depths, and place them at different distances from the camera.

If I recall correctly, the layer emitters need to be 3D, so if you have camera movement, you'll have to parent the 3D layer emitters to the camera so they stick in place from the camera point of view. In essence, you're projecting the 3D sources onto a 2-D plane that is then turned into a 3D plane functioning as the layer emitter. You would have to have the same camera movements inside the emitter layer precomps so it all matches up.

I haven't tried this approach, so it's a bit theoretical, but it would enable you to use one or a couple of layers (depending on how much depth you need to create in terms of particular layering and particle sizes/speed/physics) to create the fire instead of having to do each source as an individual emitter.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 18, 2016 at 7:15:51 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Aug 18, 2016 at 7:26:33 am

This type of idea (with one layer). The layer emitter would be white and transparent (and hidden). If the camera moves, the emitter layer has to follow, so it's always right in front. Like a camera projection setup.

Actually, no need to make the layer emitter white. You could control the particle color with it if you want. Or add an animated fractal noise to the mix so that the fire origin moves around within those areas.

And, this just reminded me that you can use the RGB channels of the Layer emitter in various ways: To control the size, velocity and rotation of the particles, for instance. So you could get pretty far with just one layer.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]