FORUMS: list search recent posts

Random Smoke on 3 Copies of One Precomp?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Davids
Random Smoke on 3 Copies of One Precomp?
on Feb 28, 2016 at 11:09:10 pm

I used the black smoke preset and precomp'd it so that I can mask out the tips of my smokestacks. I have 3 copies of that precomp in my main composition. I can obviously quickly make 2 more copies of my base smoke effect and change the random seed, but how can I tell trapcode to be random for each copy of my precomp'd effect (if possible). I've been googling and haven't had much luck with the settings. Is there a way to change a property in an underlying precomp?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Random Smoke on 3 Copies of One Precomp?
on Feb 29, 2016 at 7:05:36 pm

Put the expression "index" into the random setting.

Return to posts index

Brandon Davids
on Mar 1, 2016 at 12:23:07 am

So I have the follwing Structure:

Smoke Effect PreComp
{
Trapcode Particular Smoke Effect (with setting for "Random Seed" that needs to be randomized)
}

Train Scene Composition with 3 Locomotives
{
Locomotive 1 Smokestack with a copy of (Smoke Effect Precomp1)
Locomotive 2 Smokestack with a copy of (Smoke Effect Precomp1)
Locomotive 3 Smokestack with a copy of (Smoke Effect Precomp1)
}

So where do I put this "index"? I want each copy of the precomp to have a different Random Seed value so they look different in the Locomotive composition.

Thanks for you time. I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Mar 1, 2016 at 8:28:34 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Mar 1, 2016 at 8:33:24 am

Into the random seed of the Particular ("Smoke Effect") precomp.

Since each copy of the precomp has its own layer index, this way they will each use a different random seed based on their layer index number (1, 2, 3 -- or wherever they are in the stack) despite the settings being otherwise identical.

Return to posts index

Brandon Davids
on Mar 1, 2016 at 11:11:18 pm

OK, don't laugh at me but I somehow screwed it up after your first post. The sad part is that I'm a software developer and I must have either typed it wrong or capitalized the I. I tried it with and without quotes but for whatever reason, I only saw the yellow warning icon saying there was a syntax error, so I thought I was doing something wrong. Sure enough, today I just inserted the lowercase i into it and it works fine.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it and hopefully this post will help someone else.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]