FORUMS: list search recent posts

Form: 2D shape or 'face' of OBJ

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Seastrom
Form: 2D shape or 'face' of OBJ
on Oct 27, 2015 at 11:56:34 pm

Hello, sorry in advance if this is a basic question, relatively new to trapcode and I can't for the life of me figure this out, even though it seems so simple!

All I'm trying to do is get Trapcode Form applied to the face of a 2D shape (in this case, it's a vector of a chef that I made). I've imported the vector to Maya, exported the OBJ with normals, and still get particles only on the vertices. I've also tried exporting from Blender with normals and get the same issue.

Cropping/trkmat doesn't solve my issue as I need to animate the particles moving in.

I found this tutorial http://www.redgiant.com/tutorial/red-giant-tv-live-episode-1-exploring-form... where he exports from Cinema 4D with normals from the Riptide Pro plugin, is that plugin necessary to retain the information of the face of the object? He mentions another tutorial about importing OBJ's that I cannot find either.

If this is possible without the use of an .OBJ, as the desired result is a flat image, it makes my life all the easier.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

harryjfrank
Re: Form: 2D shape or 'face' of OBJ
on Oct 28, 2015 at 5:19:45 pm

What Form does is exactly that: render particles on the vertices. If you want more particles, you need more vertices. This is best done by subdividing the geometry in your 3D app.

The Riptide plugin is simply for Cinema 4D, as the built-in options are pretty limited for exporting OBJs.

You could also use a layer as alpha layer for Form, and turn up the particle count in X and Y.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.

-John Cage

Return to posts index

Gary Seastrom
Re: Form: 2D shape or 'face' of OBJ
on Nov 1, 2015 at 1:37:26 am

Yeah, about an hour after posting that I found the layer maps option which was exactly what I was looking for (after spending hours freaking out about it). I knew it had to be more simple than what I was doing, I way over-complicated it thinking had to be done with an OBJ, haha. Thanks for the help though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]