FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blowing snow

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Robshaw
Blowing snow
on Sep 3, 2015 at 6:47:32 pm

I'm creating an introduction to a video that is winter related. I have a white background with a logo in the middle and want to have it so that the comp is completely blank white and then have snow particles blowing off the logo in the left direction, how can I achieve this?

Thanks,
Justin

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Blowing snow
on Sep 3, 2015 at 9:10:22 pm

You could try reversing the action: Have particular fill the image with snow that sticks to a surface then reverse the render. Actually, you can probably also do it with physics time factor (reverse time), in which case you wouldn't have to render it out first.

Return to posts index

Justin Robshaw
on Sep 3, 2015 at 10:03:02 pm

Thanks for your response Kalle. I'm new to using particular so bare with me. Could you give me in more detail in how to do what you're saying? My comp isn't 3D. The closest tutorial I found for what I want to do is in the 'Step 9 - Configure Shatter, Part 2' video example from http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/after-effects/after-effects-text-that-blows-...

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 4, 2015 at 2:50:14 pm

Here's one method. Not really all that good: I think there's a way to do it with Aux particles that gives you better control of the motion with air turbulence an all. (The motion here was made with Motion Path.)

But it's a start. I'll try out my other idea.

9219_snowuncover.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 4, 2015 at 4:51:16 pm

Good news and bad news.

Bad news is that it was way more complicated than I thought.

Good news is that I got it to work.

This here preview and the included project show what it looks like and how to do it. I have not tidied it up, so there are several places where you have to update the text (or logo or whatever you want to reveal).

And the particles are not snow, but that's a simple thing to change.

Particular text reveal

9220_snowuncover.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Justin Robshaw
on Sep 4, 2015 at 9:03:45 pm

Thanks very much for working on these mock ups. I'm unable to open the working files because I'm using After Effects CS6. Based on the video example you posted, I want to have it not so flaky as it's getting blown away, did you create your demo using particular or did you modified the numbers/steps from the tutorial link I sent?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 5, 2015 at 7:15:23 am

This was made in Particular. You can modify the Particular settings to taste.

Saving backwards in AE is a pain, as you have to have every in-between version on the computer. I'll see if I can install CC2012 and save it as CS6 for you.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 5, 2015 at 7:43:06 am

I've saved it back to CS6. Hopefully it kept the reference to Particular, although I didn't install Particular for CC12.

9226_snowuncovercs6.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Justin Robshaw
on Sep 5, 2015 at 5:12:55 pm

Thanks, I am able to view the ae file. Wow it's a lot more complex than I thought, with having the 5 different comps. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I'm linking an ae file to premiere because I have a couple video files that I've edited in premiere and creating the intro animation in after effects. If it's not too much time for you, do you mind doing a video recording of creating what you sent me so that I can follow along on recreating it and see where I can modify the text for the logo I will be using?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 5, 2015 at 7:00:01 pm

Actually it's not that bad. You need to change it in two places, one being main comp: Text layer currently named "My Text", and same in precomp 2. Turn the top layer of precomp 2 off so you can see the text, and then back on after you've edited it.

Return to posts index

Justin Robshaw
on Sep 6, 2015 at 8:25:17 pm

It doesn't work when I add the logo in under the text layer on both comps. The logo appears as if it's on top of all the layers/effects in the comps. I'm not doing the snow blowing effect just for the logo, that's the initial part. I have an audio of wind blowing that I'll sync with the initial snow blowing off the logo, then have the logo and letters of the name get blown away afterwards and then some other text have snow blowing off of it as well and then the text letters gets blown away. For my own knowledge and learning interest I will like to know the process of how you created your demo.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 7, 2015 at 10:36:49 am

Hi Justin,

You will have to replace the main comp text with the logo, and for precomp 2 you need a white version of the logo in the same location (replacing text).

The most important feature in the comp is using a layer emitter for Particular. The precomps create the animated layer that is used to emit the particles.

A very useful tutorial related to this method, "Catching Fire" with particular, can be found here:

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Sep 13, 2015 at 11:32:15 pm

The guy presenting that video is a total hack.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 14, 2015 at 9:39:22 am

... which I take to mean "able to hack into any mainframe in under 60 seconds" :)

Return to posts index

Justin Robshaw
on Sep 14, 2015 at 11:32:10 pm

Hi Kalle,

Sorry for my late reply, got busy with other projects. Thanks for the link, the process seems pretty involved. I'm going to take some tutorials to learn about particular as it isn't something that I use on a daily bases, being a graphic designer. I may come back to ask you more questions. Regardless, thanks for your time and responses.

Justin

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Oct 1, 2015 at 2:06:48 pm

Justin,
I have taken the liberty of creating a comp for you to look at regarding a snowy logo reveal. This is what I would have done, probably with a bit more tweaking. Essentially, you need an organic looking dissolve to make it look like snow is being blown off your logo. I precomped a logo and then revealed it using an animated fractal noise layer and alpha. Then I created a particular layer to emit particles from the logo precomp layer. I used wind and the air modifiers to get the snow to "fly." Next, I added a snow background, because pure white did not look right to me, but I faded it out to pure white at the end for a clean look. Take a look at how this effect was achieved and if you have any questions, let me know.

9310_snowrevealfolder.zip

Best of luck,
Mike Park

Return to posts index

Justin Robshaw
on Oct 1, 2015 at 4:48:29 pm

Thanks for your post Mike. I took a different approach to my initial thought as I was unsuccessful with creating the blowing snow effect. Instead I created fog with falling snow to make a convincing blizzard effect

https://www.adrive.com/public/wnYaMe/Snow%20removal%20intro%20preview.mp4

I was unable to open your ae file as I'm using ae cs6, do you mind saving your file to that version and re-upload? I really appreciate your time to creating a mockup and I'm interested to see your concept.

Thanks,
Justin

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Oct 1, 2015 at 7:33:37 pm

Wish I could...I use Adobe CC 2015, so I can only save back to CC(12). I don't have CC(12) installed on this machine to save back to CS6. I will render a MP4, though, and post it so you could see the result.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Oct 1, 2015 at 7:41:22 pm

9311_snowycomp.mov.zip

Return to posts index

Justin Robshaw
on Oct 1, 2015 at 10:25:14 pm

Looks good! Thanks for your tips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>