FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optimising 4K Particular Render time (currently ~30min per frame)

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darius Family
Optimising 4K Particular Render time (currently ~30min per frame)
on Dec 12, 2012 at 1:55:11 am

Hi guys,

I'm working on a 4K 32bps project (4096 x 2160) which has 12 particular instances emitting from multiple small masked regions of un-proxied .R3D footage. Each instance is set to emit 500,000 particles/sec with a max life of 3 seconds.

My machine is running OSX 10.6 with 2x 2.66 Intel Xeon (hyper-threading disabled) with 20GB ram. Rendering to an internal storage RAID.

I've precomped the particular layers and their emitters together and I tried rendering out a TIFF sequence (with alpha) to use as a pre-render, what I've encountered however is render times of up to 30 minutes per frame!

The next steps I'm going to take to try and speed up the renders:

• Pre-render each particular instance on its own, then composite all of them back together
  • Try with hyperthreading enabled
  • Try with multiprocessing (though as my system doesn't have much ram I find this to normally be slower).

I've tried to simulate the same effect with fewer particles but havent been successful, which leads me to believe perhaps there isnt much I can do - though I'm hoping there is a magical 'render faster' switch that im missing ;P

• How have others dealt with this kind of situation before?
  • Is this the norm with working with such high intensity comps?
  • Am i crazy for attempting this on a fairly average computer?
  • Have I done something completely stupid?
  • Should I start getting quotes to book out a render farm?

So many questions, so little time... :p

Cheers,
Darius

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]