FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching the color of the glow effect on a masked layer above a particular layer

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oytun Kal
Matching the color of the glow effect on a masked layer above a particular layer
on Nov 7, 2012 at 10:19:42 am

Hi there,
I have a footage where someone plays an air guitar. With trapcode particular I created a "light graffiti"-like guitar for the musician. Then, in order to make it look more realistic, I duplicated the original footage and masked the hands and some part of the right arm, and put the masked layer above the particular layer in order to make the guitar appear under the hands.

My problem is, that when I use "glow" effect on the particular guitar layer, the color of the original footage changes slightly. so, the masked parts don't have a glow effect on. I really tried hard with color correction tools like (levels, hue&saturation, brightness&contrast, noise, blur, putting a colored solid with reduced opacity above the mask, or feathering the mask etc.) to match the color of the masked parts to the newly "glowed" original footage, but couldn't succeed very well.

I'd really appreciate if you could give me some advanced tips.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: Matching the color of the glow effect on a masked layer above a particular layer
on Nov 7, 2012 at 1:45:42 pm

Best thing to do is actually create and adjustment layer above all of the layers and add a glow effect there, not on the guitar particular layer. This will blend the layers together naturally. Also, you may wish to change the comp to 32 bit so you have HDR and increase the color of the particles to something beyond white. If you want a yellow orange look, I suggest an RBG of 1.4,1.3,1.

Return to posts index

Oytun Kal
Re: Matching the color of the glow effect on a masked layer above a particular layer
on Nov 7, 2012 at 3:08:03 pm

thank you very much for your tip.
the adjustment layer for both layers seems to offer a really good alternative.
but this time I have to struggle to eliminate the glow effect from the lights in the background of the footage. it could work a lot easier if the scene was shot in front of a green screen so I could key them out easily. it's these kind of weakly prepared shooting conditions which cause a lot of back pain for the post production people I guess =)
but I might be on the right track, thanks again.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Nov 7, 2012 at 3:28:49 pm

if you put a mask on the adjustment layer to cover only the area you want and eliminate the lights, it should work fine. just feather the mask a bit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]