FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I attatch Particuar to a null in 3d?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil LeBeau
How do I attatch Particuar to a null in 3d?
on Jan 8, 2012 at 3:13:30 am

Picture this... a Super Hero is running extremely fast in a circle tying up villains around a pole...

1. I Would like to add a smoke trail on the ground that goes in a circle. Like his feet were catching the ground on fire or kicking up dust.

2. I will add a shape layer and make it rotate around the villains too - it will go so fast, so its just a blur.

So, I thought I could just add a 3d null and rotate it, and link the x,y,z of Particular to the Null. But I cant separate the dimensions in Particular.

Is there an easier way?

Something like this but not as elaborate: At 4:05 to 4:07

Thanks for your thoughts!

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: How do I attatch Particuar to a null in 3d?
on Jan 11, 2012 at 10:10:08 pm

I dont think it is as easy as you might think. You can move the anchor point of the null object and then rotate it, but I dont think that is going to move the emitter position of particular, even if you parent it. In the past, I have set up the null object to rotate around a center point using a bit of scripting with sin and cos functions and then picwipped the position of the particular emitter to that point. Another way you might want to go is to create a precomp and put a white dot offset from the center. Make this 3d and place it in your comp. Next, rotate this precomp over time. Now set up particular to emit from the layer and use this layer as the source. Dont forget to change the settings to nothing on layer usage and set it to read particle birth time. This should be a bit easier to set up without the math.

Return to posts index

Phil LeBeau
on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:34:34 pm

Thanks for your input. I have to wrap my mind around it. :-)

Return to posts index

Victor Vataman
on Jan 17, 2012 at 10:36:56 am

But you can use a light as an emitter. Then move the emitter light from the center of rotation and parrent it to a 3D Null. Now, when you rotate the Null, emitter light is rotating in a circle.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:07:21 pm

Victor is absolutely correct, and this would be the simplist way. Sometimes we overlook the best answers and try to make it more complicated than it really has to be.

Return to posts index

Harold Durnez
on Apr 25, 2013 at 11:38:03 am

"move the emitter light from the center of rotation"
Can you please elaborate on this?

tnx.

Harold JM Durnez
harold.durnez@gmail.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/harolddurnez

Return to posts index

Victor Vataman
on Apr 29, 2013 at 10:38:03 am

Like in the image below the emitter light will rotate around Y axis:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]