FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trapcode Particular particle movement

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Tosetto
Trapcode Particular particle movement
on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:03:09 am

I'm attempting to recreate something along the lines of this 'A' logo at the website below. If you look closely you'll see that the particles actually move right through the whole 'A'. They go from the top to the bottom and back again. The particles continuously move through the whole logo.

http://www.awardonline.com/

I'm hoping someone can help me ut. I'm using Trapcode Particular with a layer emitter to generate particles and this works fine. I then use some Turbulence to create the movement and this almost works although the particles only move within a certain area. They don't travel up and down the whole logo and this is what I'm trying to do. I need them to go from one side of the 'A' to the other continuously.

I had a go with a motion path on the XY emitter but it didn't really work.

If anyone could please help out with any suggestions, that would be great.

Thanks

Mike

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: Trapcode Particular particle movement
on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:50:53 pm

OK,

First of all, I am guessing that this is a Flash animation based on the website and interactivity, not a rendered movie from a program like After Effects. That being said, we can definately recreate this look inside of After Effects very easily. I will quickly walk you through the steps, but even better and because it is just the kind of guy I am, I have uploaded a finshed comp which already has it done for you to look at and work through.

First, set up your layer emitter using whatever logo or text you want. If it is text, you will need to precompose it. Then, in your main comp, make it 3d.

Next, add a new solid and put Particular on it. Change the emitter type to layer and choose your source. Next, turn all velocity down to 0. Leave emitter z at 50 to randomize the placement of particles in space. Also change the particle sampling to none. On frame 0, set particles up to about 80 or so and set a keyframe. Move down one frame and set particles per sec to 0. Turn down emission extras and set pre run up to about 25.

Now, go down to the particle settings and turn feathering down to 0 to sharpen up the particle edges. Set the particle life waaay up to about 300...we dont want particles disappearing. Change particle size to whatever floats your boat and increase particle size variation up to 75% or so.

Finally, for the movement. What you want to do to achieve this look is increase the spin amplitude. This will make each particle rotate around a center point for that particle a certain distance in a random fashion. If you keep the spin down to a low number, you can maintain your overall shape but introduce the movement you are after. I set the spin for my comp to 10 px, but it will vary depending on the size of the layer and comp.

One final thing, make sure your logo or text has an alpha masking out everything but the section of the logo you want to have particles over.

Hope this helps. Any questions, hit me up here.

Best

Mike Park

PS Here is the comp: 3067_bouncya.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Mike Tosetto
on Oct 13, 2011 at 10:58:13 pm

Mike, that is fantastic. Thank you very much. I got close with my attempt but your 'spin' suggestion is really useful.

I've actually purchased your Practical Particles DVD… It's very, very good and I learned a lot.

I'm just wondering how you might go about making the particles move right throughout the entire A… is it even possible? Or are we limited to keeping the particles restricted to an area.

One idea I had was to use the bounce feature but I was limited to one floor and one wall…

Anyway, I think this will suffice for my needs but I thought I'd just ask a couple of extra questions and see what you thought.

Cheers again Mike.

Mike :)

http://www.miketosetto.com | http://www.bestiacollective.com

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Oct 14, 2011 at 2:17:53 pm

You are welcome, glad I can help. I am not sure about what you mean by moving through the entire A. If you mean bouncing back and forth from top to bottom, then yes, you can do this with a couple of walls and an alpha matte. If you mean using the outline of the A to restrict random ball movement, then no, Particular is not equipped to handle that level of complexity when it comes to deflectors. I would have to turn to a 3d package like 3ds max to set that kind of animation up.

Return to posts index

Mike Tosetto
on Oct 13, 2011 at 11:03:40 pm

One more thing, the one part I don't understand is about turning down emission extras and setting the pre run up to about 25.

What do these parameters do and are they necessary?

Cheers

Mike

http://www.miketosetto.com | http://www.bestiacollective.com

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Oct 14, 2011 at 2:20:05 pm

They are not necessary. All they do is prerun the animation so that on frame 0 you have particles already emitted. Otherwise, you would have particles popping on during the animation which I dont think you want. If you turn off the prerun, you will need to alter the particles per second to allow either more particles on frame 0 or lengthen the frames over which the particles emit before they are keyframed to 0.

Hope this makes sense.

Best,

Mike Park

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]