FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trapcode Particular : Textured polygon particle - how to avoid duplicates?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gosia Lapinski
Trapcode Particular : Textured polygon particle - how to avoid duplicates?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 6:18:49 am

Hiya

I'm trying to create a grid of 36 different images, which I then want to animate in an organic way (hence the need for Particular). I've created the grid and animated it, which looks grat. However, I'm still getting duplicate images in the grid.

I can't work out a way around this, all the options in the Time Sampling dropdown seem to sample parts of the clip at random without then excluding the parts that have been sampled, which means I get duplicate images in the grid no matter which option I go with.

Does anyone know if there is an expression for this? Or maybe I'm missing something really obvious?

Thank you!

Gosia

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: Trapcode Particular : Textured polygon particle - how to avoid duplicates?
on Sep 7, 2011 at 1:42:35 am

The short answer is no. The longer answer is it really depends on what you are trying to do. I have come up with somewhat of a workaround, but it only works in limited circumstances. Can you show me what you have or are trying to do and I will then be able to tell you if it is possible with Particular.

Return to posts index

Gosia Lapinski
on Sep 7, 2011 at 4:19:01 am

Hey Mike - Thanks so much for your response.

The 3 images below show my animation sequence.

I've included some photos amongst the flat coloured rectangles in the grid to make it easier to see the duplicates. The final grid will be made up of photos only.

I'm building the grid (in one frame using Periodic Burst), and then animating it. Just need to get rid of duplicates in the initial grid build.

I've also tried using Current Frame - Freeze time sampling with the Traverse emitter type, which does give me 36 unique images, but animates them in one by one, whereas I need a solid grid before I start to rotate the particles, and haven't found a way to get the particles to rotate AFTER they have all appeared.

NB Using FreeForm to distort the comp containing the particle system.

Really appreciate your help, thank you!

Gosia

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Sep 7, 2011 at 2:12:58 pm

Honestly,
With what it looks like you want to do and with only 36 layers, I would probably just make a 9x4 grid of precomps and use some expressions to control the rotation. It would be alot quicker and easier and give you more control.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:07:24 pm

do you want this to only rotate on the z axis, or do you want them to randomly rotate in the x and y as well?

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Sep 8, 2011 at 6:10:48 pm

Because I a just such a nice guy and because I thought it would be an interesting project, I created your comp using my method with 36 precomps, each controlled in 3d space by expressions. The BG layer has all the controls you need. The sliders are pretty self explanatory. The start rotate frame controls when the comps start to rotate and similarly, the end rotate controls what frame the rotation ends. There is a min and max angle control for the rotation which is tied into a random number generator to vary the rotation. If you want the same rotation, just make these two equal. The max move simply controls the max amount of pixels the comps move away from the start in xyz space. All the comps are also linked to the Master Control null, which you can animate to make the entire cloud of screens move anywhere you want as a group.

2915_rotationsetupfolder.zip

Any questions, let me know.

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

Gosia Lapinski
on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:55:49 am

Hey Mike

Sorry that it's taken me this long to reply - thank you so much for your help! The project ended up changing a little so I ended up going with duplicated particles in the end - but your files and advice will be invaluable for future projects.

Thanks again!

Gosia

Return to posts index

Jeff Trujillo
on Nov 5, 2011 at 4:05:48 pm

In case anyone is still wondering about this, I found a way to make it happen. I watched this video:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/videos/quicktips/item/223/

And the tip about sequentially emitting particles based on their order in the comp is what I followed and it worked.

First, I made a new comp ("Image Comp") and made each image that I wanted to use one frame long and sequenced the layers. Then, after adding Trapcode Particular to a new solid, I selected "Image Comp" as my Particle Texture Layer (Particle Type: Sprite or Custom). I selected "Current Frame: Freeze" from the Particle>Texture>Time Sampling menu and changed the particles per second to what my comp's framerate was (in my case, 30) and made the particle layer the exact amount of frames that I had images for and it worked.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]