FORUMS: list search recent posts

locking particle position in space?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Grossardt
locking particle position in space?
on May 23, 2011 at 5:11:23 pm

I'm running into a problem with Particular 2 that I'm not sure how to overcome.

I'm basically trying to create huge flower petals falling from the sky. I've animated a tumbling 3D object, and I'm using that as my textured polygon particle source. I've got the motion and distribution of the petals to a point I like. The only problem is that as petals are affected by air turbulence, their z position changes. This z position change is enough to occasionally move one particle in front of another, causing a jarring "popping-in-front-of" effect.

My initial thought is that I need some way of locking a particle in z space as it's emitted, but there might be other techniques to solve the problem that I'm just not thinking of.

Thoughts?

Mark Grossardt
Video Editor
Clark Creative Group

Return to posts index

Harry Frank
Re: locking particle position in space?
on May 26, 2011 at 10:35:58 pm

It seems easy enough of a problem to have, but oddly.. I've never really seen particles directly overlap and criss-cross like this. I assume these must be pretty large particles?

Here's a stupid suggestion. Can you change the Random Seed to a value that doesn't have an overlapping group?

Or, perhaps, make a couple layers of Particular with a short Z depth and spread them out a little in Z and in the AE stack.

OR... something I've done as well.. keep your Particular particles small and manual animate some large foreground "particles" as layers.

That's all I got. It sounds like you know what you are doing, and just are falling victim to how things work in Particular.

Return to posts index

Mark Grossardt
Re: locking particle position in space?
on May 27, 2011 at 5:17:27 pm

Thanks for chiming in, Harry.

Yeah, it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to "brute force" the effect with a couple techniques like what you're suggesting.

Isn't it interesting that, no matter how awesome a piece of software is, you can always seem to find a limitation ...

Mark Grossardt
Video Editor
Clark Creative Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]