FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trapcode Form - Animating Certain Sections

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joey campbell
Trapcode Form - Animating Certain Sections
on May 6, 2011 at 6:22:33 pm

Hi - I was wondering if ayone could tell me how the 2d world map is raised on the z axis on the following clip ?
I presume its trapcode form applied to an image of the map. I've managed to mock up something similar but am having difficulty "extruding" or "warping" certain parts of the form layer on the z axis in order to give the perception of depth and wave movement. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
Re: Trapcode Form - Animating Certain Sections
on May 10, 2011 at 1:02:33 pm

Hi,

In a word (well, OK, two): Displacement maps. You can control all kinds of aspects of the Form particles using layer maps - for example, one layer, with a world map, would control the particles opacity, so that they only show up for the land. Another, animated layer map, could be used to control the Z position. If you look closely, you can see the title text leaves behind a hole in the map behind it. The particles move from the level of the terrain to a higher Z position driven by animating the grey-scale value of that part of the layer map.

Return to posts index

joey campbell
on May 10, 2011 at 8:35:27 pm

Hi Matthew - thanks for the feedback.
Your advice has helped me a lot - I'm coming from a 3d background so modeling using black/white imahes is new to me.

I've got the hang of the opacity and displacement maps and have something similar mocked up.

I have two small questions relating to the opening scene. At the very start 0-7 seconds you only see some of the 'spheres' that make up the map - these spheres eventually become more apparent. Is there something like a particle volume setting that is being keyframed ?

Also some of the keyframes glow while others appear more dull - do you think this is from a third party plugin or is it just the depth of field setting on the camera combined with a randomize particle size setting ?

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
on May 10, 2011 at 9:24:16 pm

Hi,

I'm pretty sure you can also assign a layer map to the particle size - possibly the same one used as the 'altitude' map - so that higher particles show up more. And, as you say, the depth of field will make some spheres more blurry, and probably a bit of added glow as well, as that usually adds a bit of extra pep to the larger, sharper particles. Anyway, glad it helped...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]