FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Expression to alter color according to angle toward camera

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Hamann
Using Expression to alter color according to angle toward camera
on Apr 12, 2011 at 5:05:43 pm

I know Michael Park could do this in a second, but I'm going to need some help.I want to have type rotate from 90 degrees to 0 (facing the camera) one letter at a time and as it rotates it goes from black to neon blue but flashes bright white when it hits about 30 degrees. Is there an expression that just looks at the individual letter's angle toward camera to dictate it's color so that I can automate the letter rotation and color without having to animate each individual letter. I have dozens of titles to do this on and want to be able to just swap out the type.
Thanks in advance for your help...

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: Using Expression to alter color according to angle toward camera
on Apr 14, 2011 at 1:47:49 pm

Alright Sam,

Here is a file to do what you asked because trying to type it all out would take too long and be too confusing. To do what you want requires you to turn on per character 3d for the text. Ideally, you would animate your text rotation and then animate your fill color to get the look that you want. Unfortunately, the fill color doesnt animate the way you would expect in per character 3d. So the solution is to create 2 text layers, linked together. One animates the rotation and controls the rotation speed and animates the color from black to neon blue. The other is merely a specular layer which creates highlights when it rotates toward the light. This layer is set to add mode. You control the specific angle and timing of the highlight by moving the light and adjusting the angle. The rotation and text letters are linked and all controlled by the text base layer. If you have any questions, please post. This is set up to be procedural, so you need only change the text using the text tool on the text base layer to control both the text itself as well as the end text color. I threw in a simple glow to give the neon look. Adjust it to your taste and need.

2188_neonbluetext.aep.zip

I hope this is what you were looking for.
Best,

Mike Park

Return to posts index

Sam Hamann
on Apr 19, 2011 at 3:34:41 pm

Amazing! I knew you would know how to do it immediately. Thank you so much. Do you ever do training?

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:44:55 pm

What kind of training are you interested in? I do video tutorials online all the time. I have a dvd on using Particular, or did you mean in-person training?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]