FORUMS: list search recent posts

Streaks with Footage

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Saliba
Streaks with Footage
on Mar 31, 2011 at 9:11:30 pm

Hi,
I've got a problem. It's more of a technique problem rather than anything else. I've been testing and trying out different ways for a week and can't find the perfect way to this.

What I want to achieve is a smoke trail following a car or going around it and stuff like that. The thing is, it was "easy" doing it to a still image, but when i came to apply it to a shot of even 5 seconds, it was really different.

I can't co-ordinate the path (i attached the particular to a point light and keyframed it) to the shot as the camera moves around the moving car.

Is this impossible ??!! I'm really fed up of trying to do it. Has anyone ever tried to do it? I attached a screen shot just to get the idea. It's of when i applied it to the still image. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Harry Frank
Re: Streaks with Footage
on Mar 31, 2011 at 9:56:06 pm

Is this CG?

If you can get a matte of the car itself, you can load that layer into the Z Buffer section and define a behind/in-front obscuration using those luminance values.

In short, I'm not 100% clear on the real problem you are having. Maybe seeing the shot in motion would help and a more detailed description of what you are trying to achieve.

Return to posts index

Mark Saliba
on Mar 31, 2011 at 10:22:03 pm

True i didn't explain my problem well. I attached one example of the shots I have to deal with. Now imagine a simple trail of smoke following the car. If the cam was standing still it would be easy, but it's not. So I need to find a way to do this.

For this particular shot it was easier then others cause the car is going straight. So what i tried was moving the smoke trail against the x-axis. Then animate the World transform for each frame. But it's too much of a hassle and limits me.

shotexample

Return to posts index

Harry Frank
on Mar 31, 2011 at 10:32:14 pm

Well, it looks to me like you need a 3D tracker, perhaps The Foundry's CameraTracker:

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/cameratracker/

Once you have the scene tracked, you should be able to find the point of the tail of the car. However, if you want things to go behind the car, you'll need to roto. Maybe check out this tutorial here:

http://www.graymachine.com/2011/01/red-giant-tv-episode-50-alien-attack/

It covers tracking in AE with CameraTracker, aligning tracked points in 3D space, roto in Mocha AE, and some other stuff that might not apply here, but might still be helpful.

Return to posts index

Mark Saliba
on Mar 31, 2011 at 10:50:38 pm

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna watch that, download the trial and have a test. See if i can achieve what I want to. I hope i will. :D Thansk once again.

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
on Apr 1, 2011 at 3:47:58 pm

Ideally you need a 3D camera track and an object track of the car in 3D space. Then you setup the path for your particles in 3D space and the camera movement gives you the movement.You can probably use the object track of the car to transform your path as it moves through it. And if the model that you use for the car is close enough to the real car you can use it to render mattes for your particles too.

Also, if your model of the car fits properly you could reflect the particles in the model and render a reflection pass that you could add to the real car footage to sell the effect.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]