FORUMS: list search recent posts

back of the stroke?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Billy Payn
back of the stroke?
on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:29:38 pm

Hi I have a graphic which needs some expert advice to make it really good.
Using 3d Stroke, I've stroked and curved a logo, then spun it so that it looks like a crown spinning in space with some nice light coming off it, the thing I'd like to do is to make the back of the letters and icons darker, so that when seen through the letters as they pass round the front, the ones in the distance are less bright, and don't steal the thunder of the letters in the foreground. I've tried a few things, but it seems that the object is sort of a faux 3d, and doesn't actually exist in 3d space, though it looks really good.
I'm not very good with using expressions, but am willing to have a go if that's what it takes. Is it possible to do this with the plug ins, or will it need me to reconstruct the effect in 3d space using just AE?
Any ideas, and thanks in advance for any help.
Billy

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: back of the stroke?
on Feb 20, 2011 at 1:18:40 am

can you post a pic, movie, or the project file so I can see what you are talking about?

Return to posts index

Billy Payn
on Feb 20, 2011 at 9:42:59 am

HI Mike
Thanks for the response, here is a still from the piece, I have the camera starting pretty close up to the word Holland so it sweeps past, then tracking back to this position so you can see the whole thing.
I imported the masks from AI, there are 1200 of them for each of the Holland and Holland signs, so over 2,400 altogether.
As you can see, the strokes as they pass round the back, as seen through the front letters make the front letters harder to see so it would be great if there were a way to get them to go dimmer or change colour.
I've tried making the layer 3d and putting lights on pointing them forwards in y space, and also having a semi opaque layer cut the graphic in half so that the back half is seen through it.
What do you think?
I bet there's a simple way of doing it - at least I hope so.
Thanks
Billy
1657_hhtiara.jpg.zip

Return to posts index

Harry Frank
on Mar 2, 2011 at 11:25:17 pm

One suggestion would be to go to:

Camera -> Z Clip Back

And lower the Z Clip value until you see the backside of the logo disappearing, then adjust the Start Fade to be a bit lower than that.

This will make it disappear completely, which might not be ideal. But maybe you can have dark and light versions that use Z Clip Front and Z Clip Back.

A better solution would be that 3D Stroke responds to lights, which it doesn't. Rest assured, for 3D Stroke 3.0, this will be in there.

Harry J Frank
Product Evangelist | Red Giant Software

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]