FORUMS: list search recent posts

Light Emitters to emit different particle types or sizes?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
max bretherton
Light Emitters to emit different particle types or sizes?
on Feb 8, 2011 at 12:40:43 pm

Hi..

is there a way i can get several light emitters to emit different particle types and sizes with one application of particular??

I have been doing it with several itterations of particular on one layer each using a different set of lights for the emitters.
Because of the effect i'm trying to create this is not working.
i need the emitters/particles to correctly interact in space. But each application of Particular is rendering in front of the previous one.
I need it to work as if it was all one column of light streaks.

Please see pic...1615_lighttrailcrossover.jpg.zip

Its a line of light emitters that i want to fly around and twist and turn through different scenes. But each set of lights is using a different application of particular so it can emit a different type and size of particle. They are not interacting correctly spatially. See the blue on the bottom at the start should appear to be in-front of the rest as they twist. etc...Please help...

Thanks for your time...Max

thanks and my best regards...max

Creative Director - RTR Productions

Return to posts index

max bretherton
Streaks from SPRITE break up when rotated !? see pic
on Feb 8, 2011 at 5:06:39 pm

Hi..
THis is an Update to my problem...

I have solved the previous problem of using several instances of particular and them rendering one on top of the other instead of working spatially tgether by creating a custom particle of my own to create the light streak.
But i now have a new problem as soon as i rotate the sprite in Z the streak breaks up and no amount of particle/sec or subframe sampling will solve the problem.
Please see pic....

1616_particlespritestreakbreakingup.jpg.zip

I now have these two problems - this one and the one in my previous post...i dont mind which can be solved either will allow me to do the work i'm trying to do. I'm just amazed, and saddened, that i have managed to try to do something Particular can't do!? BTW Trapcode FORM' will not do the job i need this effects for. I need to composit this effect over video and have it seem to be in the spaces of the footage..like round a building..etc..

I really do appreciate any help with this...Peder please help if you can...Thanks...Max

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: Light Emitters to emit different particle types or sizes?
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:31:06 pm

In short, no. You only get one type per particular effect, not counting aux particles. However, with particular 2, you can stack multiple instances of Particular on the same layer. Then just rename your lights to something unique and use that as your emitter. The size you can control using the light intensity.

Return to posts index

max bretherton
on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:32:30 pm

hi..

Thanks for helping out with this Mike.

If you read my post...i do have several instances of Particular on one layer.
The problem is they render on top of each other like layers and don't integrate in 3d.
Please see the picture on my first post. Can this be fixed?
(It could if i can get diff sized particles using one instance of Particular!)

i am using Particular 2 but i can only see how to alter particles/sec individually for each light not size..Can this be done?!

If it can it would fix all my problems cos I'm using the multiple instances of Particular on the layer to get the diff particle sizes. It's the only way i could see of doing it.

Thanks for your help...Max

Return to posts index

Eric Epstein
on Mar 8, 2011 at 9:40:18 am

Sprite rotation and emitter direction don't have subframe sampling.
BUT, 'orient to motion' can be quite precise if that motion comes from turbulence or "velocity from motion." If you have a light emitter drawing the path, velocity from motion will make the sprites bent to the path even if that setting is too low to actually see the sprites drifting.

As far as the general approach, you might think more about compositing solutions where you beak apart the render and put it back together. For example, if you had just three strokes, you could make them red, green, and blue. Then you could use the channel mixer to create 3 separate layers that will still fit together when laid back on top of each-other. But as individual layers you can blur and choke and recolor the strokes with greater freedom.

Return to posts index

max bretherton
on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:23:02 pm

Thanks for replying Eric...

Some interesting ideas there...thanks...Max

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]