FORUMS: list search recent posts

Custom particle alinged, sewing thread?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Mickelson
Custom particle alinged, sewing thread?
on Apr 5, 2010 at 8:20:34 pm

Hello all, trying to get a particle to "sew" on. Basically I am trying to imitate a sewing thread. I could just use an AI file and wipe a mask, but I would like more control using either 3D Stroke or Particular.

I have Particular set up with s custom particle but it does not seem to align with the path. 3D Stroke has been a bust as well.

Any ideas?

MacPro Dual Core2Duo 3.0Ghz, ATI 4870, 6GB ram, 4TB SATA Raid that now works in SL, SLeopard 10.6.sumthin', FCPStudio 3, QT 7, Kone LHe

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: Custom particle alinged, sewing thread?
on Apr 6, 2010 at 8:17:04 pm

Do you have a pic or screen capture of what you want and what you are currently working with? Also, how are you creating the path for the stitching? Moving the emitter or using a motion path?

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on Apr 6, 2010 at 8:23:33 pm

Here is an example of the thread. http://www.youtube.com/user/ArtInstitutes#p/a/u/1/hQ6-bo594-M

I am currently using the "type on path" using dashes that reveal along a path. I can't quite get the twisting or squashing to make the thread seem more real. I am hopeful that either 3d stroke or Particular would make a more realistic thread.

MacPro Dual Core2Duo 3.0Ghz, ATI 4870, 6GB ram, 4TB SATA Raid that now works in SL, SLeopard 10.6.sumthin', FCPStudio 3, QT 7, Kone LHe

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Apr 6, 2010 at 8:29:26 pm

Do you have particluar 1.5 or 2.0. I think I have the solution for you, but it requires an expression in the rotation parameter of the particle based on the vector of the emitter velocity. This assumes that you are moving the emitter and giving the particles a velocity of zero.

If that is the case, and you are using 2.0 and trying to use the new orient to motion feature, the fact that your particles are not moving is what is causing the problems. The work around is to set the orientation of the individual particles at the time they are born to the direction that the emitter is travelling.

Sounds more complicated than it really is.

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on Apr 6, 2010 at 9:15:30 pm

I'm still on particular 1.5. I made a custom particle in Illustrator but it was not aligning with the "emitter" path.

I switched to the AE Type on Path instead of Particular. I would like to use Particular if I can find a solution.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Apr 7, 2010 at 1:28:08 am

Try this,

on the z rotation of the particle, put in this expression:

v = (thisComp.layer("Particular Footprints").effect("Particular")("Position XY").velocity);
radiansToDegrees(Math.atan2(v[1],v[0]))

where "Particular Footprints" is the name of the layer on which you have the particular effect.

What this expression does is take the vector of the velocity of the emitter's motion and converts it to an angle. This will allow the particles emitted to align with the direction of the emitter. Obviously, the best way to make this work is to create and animate a null object to travel along the path you want your stitches to travel and then to picwip your particular emitter to the null.

I hope this solves your problem.

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:17:56 pm

Just playing around with particular and I came up with this. Is this close to what your are looking for?

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:41:53 pm

THAT. Would be it. How, may I ask, are you doing this?

Pretty please.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:56:38 pm

As I said in my earlier post, I simply created a solid layer and applied Particular. I then found a picture of yarn on the internet and cropped it down to a small image of just one stitch length in photoshop. I then imported the picutre and placed it in the comp. Next, I created a new null object and created my path. To make the stitches even, I selected all of the position keyframes and made them rove across time. Next, in Particular, I picwipped the position of the emitter to the position of the null. I set all of the velocities to 0 so that the particles would emit and stay where they were. I changed the particle type to (in your case) custom and chose the photoshopped stitch layer I made in photoshop and imported into AFX. Now the sneaky part, I put the expression I typed out above onto the particle rotation parameter. Now the rotation parameter reads the velocity of the emitter and translates that into the proper angle to align the particle to the motion. Add a little drop shadow to make the threads stand out as pseudo 3d and viola, you have animated stitches, evenly spaced and properly oriented.

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:30:35 pm

Yours looks great. Mine has unevenly spaced particles for some reason. The particles are "skewed" in the corners as well. I tried to have Particular follow a null with a letter outline(to mimic you fine results). The custom particles kind of do what you have but not quite. I am trying different solutions such as centering my custom particle in photoshop, smoothing path bezier points. Not much luck.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:36:27 pm

The spacing is a function of the frames per second and the particles per second. You want the particles per second to be a fraction or multiple of the framerate to get even spacing. for example, if you are working at 30 frames per second, try 30 pps. Sometimes, it gives strange results and you will use 29.97 particles per second for a 30 fps comp. See if that will correct your problems.

I would send you the comp, but I work in CS4 and Particular 2.0, so it would not be compatible with your setup.

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:40:10 pm

Figured a different solution to the problem. I pre-comped the custom particle and I can size manipulate the whole size/spacing thing much better now. Doing it this way really tightens up the spacing and remains flexible.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably update my whole Trapcode pack when CS5 comes out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]