FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particular 2: 2 sided custom particle

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francisco Garcia
Particular 2: 2 sided custom particle
on Mar 15, 2010 at 7:01:32 pm

Hi there, I am trying to make a deck of cards fly through the air with particular 2. I have made a precomp with a 2 layered card, one for the front, and one for the back. I have been trouble shooting like crazy, but I can't get both sides to show when using the comp as a custom layer. Has anyone found a solution to this? I have been checking through this site, and someone posted this "Also, try out dan ebbert's expressions to create the backside. He has an expression which will cause a layer's opacity to drop to 0 when not facing the camera. With a little creativity, you can set up 2 instances of fracture effect and reverse this expression to get 2 sides of the image, each facing the camera from the proper side. I think this is your best bet. "

Does anyone know where I can find more info on this. Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: Particular 2: 2 sided custom particle
on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:32:59 pm

Francisco,

I think you are mixing apples and oranges, so to speak. Dan's expression uses two 3d layers in after effects and creates the illusion of a 2 sided card by varying the opacity of each side based on its rotational relationship with the comp camera. Particular, on the other hand, is a particle system placed on a 2d solid. While it can take a layer and make a particle out of it, it will not be able to take a nested 3d comp and use the 3d nature of it. I hope that was clear. You effectively have 2 options with Particular:
1. Use the textured polygon feature and have a one sided layer be truely 3d, or
2. Use the old method of creating your 3d layers using Dan's workaround and then rotating the layers in a precomp. Then use the sprite particle in Particular 2.0 and you will then have psuedo 3d layers with 2 sides.

Unfortunately, I know of no way at present to have truly 2 sided 3d objects using a particle system in After Effects.

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

Francisco Garcia
Re: Particular 2: 2 sided custom particle
on Mar 16, 2010 at 3:46:23 pm

thanks MIke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]