FORUMS: list search recent posts

3d stroke with 2 xyz controls

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Roz
3d stroke with 2 xyz controls
on Mar 2, 2010 at 12:19:56 pm

I want to make a 3d stroke with xyz controls for both the start point and end point - to be able to connect it to two objects with different motions. any ideas?
Trapcode 3dstroke wouldn't do the job since it's mask oriented, I though of using a motion path but had no idea how to make a stroke out of one. also thought of lightning or beam, but these don't have Z controls.
thanks ahead guys!

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: 3d stroke with 2 xyz controls
on Mar 2, 2010 at 4:23:34 pm

Are you looking to make a straight line between the two or something else? Does is need to be true 3d so you can rotate around it?

Return to posts index

Yotam Rozin
on Mar 2, 2010 at 5:40:30 pm

it is a straight line in 3d space that has each tip connected to a different tracker with xyz data.
like a line connecting to two spheres, each with different z depths and moving on the x/y axis. each tip of the line is connected to each sphere. hope my intentions are clear.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Mar 2, 2010 at 7:46:02 pm

Maybe I am just having brain issues or am too stuck on Particular, but the way I think of handling this would be to use 2 nulls, put a lookat expression on orientation of the one looking at the other. Then I would create a solid and put Particular on it. Link the xy and z position of the emitter to the xyz of the null with the lookat expression and then crank up the speed and pps until you get a straight line. I cant think of any way to do a true 3d line with 2 xyz animated positions.

Now, if you only need a 2d line between 3d points, and you dont need to rotate a camera around the line and dont need the line width to change in perspective as it goes back in z space, you could translate the 3d positions of your nulls to 2d screen coordinates and then use the beam effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]