FORUMS: list search recent posts

Controling length of beam in Particular 1.5?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Hughes
Controling length of beam in Particular 1.5?
on Feb 24, 2010 at 10:59:55 pm

Once I have a horizontal ray gun beam set up, how do I control it's length in Particular 1.5?

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: Controling length of beam in Particular 1.5?
on Feb 25, 2010 at 12:22:54 am

Either by adjusting particle life or using a 3d layer as a wall and using bounce physics

Return to posts index

Patrick Bronte
on Feb 25, 2010 at 1:34:06 am

Hi Mike

I'm really keen to purchase your DVD - PRACTICAL PARTICLES so I can expand my AE knowledge...which is only just coming out of an elementary level.

Can you please try and answer a couple of questions - I'm using AE V. 9.0.2 from CS4, Mac Version.

Firstly, do I need to purchase the Trapcode - Particular plugin to take advantage of your DVD?

Secondly, I want to create a layer that imitates sand. The effect is a transition I'd like to create and use in a slideshow to reveal the next image. - a black and white photo/still shot that gives the impression that it dissolves into sand and is blown off to reveal the next photo. I would want the sand to start off as black n white for the first couple of frames as it fades into a dark sand colour. Once the "sand" has been "blown" off the first photo I would like the revealed [second] photo to look like its got a bit of left over sand [coloured] on it. From there the cycle would repeat itself....

If you have trouble understanding me I can send you a screen shot or mpeg with the effect being used. It was used in a French war film called 'Days of Glory'

Have you any ideas on how this can be done? Is Particles the tool to do this? would your DVD help me learn how to use this tool to a point where I could create this transition effect?

Your input would be a big help.

Regards,

Patrick

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Feb 25, 2010 at 1:40:45 pm

First off, you dont need to purchase Particular to take advantage of the dvd. You can get a free demo copy from the red giant website. It works like the full version, just has a red x across the screen. Annoying for renders, but lets you do the enitre dvd. that being said, half of the dvd is really overall after effects knowledge, from expressions, to creating elements for your comp. However, the real star is Particular.

Now, for your second question, I think you could do a fairly convincing reveal using Particular. It has the ability to take colors from an image for the particles. So, you could basically create a layer of particles from you image and actually let the underlying image control the particle colors. Then, you would animate the settings of particular to reveal the next image underneath. It may be a little more involved than you think, given the nature of particles in after effects, but definately possible.

I dont think I have any specific tutorial on the dvd which covers exactly this effect. you would have to put together a couple tutorials to learn the skills needed for this one. The first tutorial will show you how to turn an image into particles the color of the image. Others will show you how to control the particles in 3d space and the like.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Feb 25, 2010 at 1:43:39 pm

Patrick,
You also might want to check out this tutorial by Aharon:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/red_giant_sand_tr...
It may point you in the right direction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]