FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to create wispy smoke in Particular 1.5?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Hughes
How to create wispy smoke in Particular 1.5?
on Feb 6, 2010 at 1:57:59 am

I've got a smoldering robot victim stretched out on the ground and want some thin, slow, wispy smoke drifting off of him. How do I create this effect using Trapcode Particular 1.5 in AE CS4? have tried tweaking some of the smoke presets, but so far, they're too fast and too thick for this scene.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: How to create wispy smoke in Particular 1.5?
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:27:23 pm

I would set up an emitter, point or small sphere, and make the flow directional upward. I would then turn the y wind to a negative number, say -100 under the air physics section. I would then turn the particle age to about 5 and ease the size up from half size to full size over time. I would then make a bell curve on the opacity of the particle over time. Next, I would turn up the spin a bit under the physics to taste, for me about 10 and turn up the fade in time to about 2 to 2.5 seconds. Also increase the turb to 200 or so and increase the fade in time to 2 to 2.5 as well. Change the particle opacity to 10, set transfer mode to screen. Next, add a directional blur to the layer, keep it upward and turn up the blur length to 15 to make things wispy.

this should get you started. Play with the particle count, color and sizes of the parameters to make it fit your scene. Forget about motion blur...your particles are not moving fast enough to make it worth the render hit. Just use the directional blur - it is pretty close and renders much faster.

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

Gary Hughes
on Feb 8, 2010 at 10:26:41 pm

Thanks so much, Mike! I'll have a go at this.

Return to posts index

Charles Bryan
on Jan 7, 2012 at 6:19:31 pm

What smoke presets? I have Particular and I don't see any presets.!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]