FORUMS: list search recent posts

3d stroke vectorized for Flash - how?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pedersen
3d stroke vectorized for Flash - how?
on Jan 21, 2010 at 7:44:32 am

I have been wondering for a long time, if there is an easy way to convert Trapcodes 3d strokes, created in AE, to vectors for use in Flash. I need to use the strokes for masking other objects in Flash, so it´s not enough to just import them as a flash movie with an alpha channel.

Right now I am exporting my 3d stroke-animation from AE as an image sequence, importing each frame into Illustrator where I live-trace them to vector objects. Then I must paste and position each object on the stage (and timeline) in Flash, rebuilding the animation, and then finally using this animation as a mask. A very time consuming and tedious proces :(

There must be an easier way - right?....

Michael

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: 3d stroke vectorized for Flash - how?
on Jan 21, 2010 at 7:55:22 pm

I must admit, I dont use Illustrator much, so this may not be what you are looking for, but here is a stab. I assume you can use masks out of after effects as the vectors you need. If that is true, the simplist way may be to create your 3d strokes in After Effects. Then, select the 3d stroke layer and choose "layer" "auto trace" This will take the alpha channel from your 3d stroke layer and turn it into a solid layer with masks that animate along the borders of your 3d stroke. Will this work for your purposes?

I cant think of another way to do this cleanly off the top of my head.

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

Michael Pedersen
on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:48:29 am

Thank you very much for your answer to my post :-)

I was actually not aware of the auto trace feature in AE, it sure looks interesting. But are the strokes automatically vectorized, when I auto trace them? And how do I export the generated masks to Flash?

Regards
Michael

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Jan 26, 2010 at 2:25:00 pm

Yes, the strokes become vector masks. I dont use Illustrator so I cant really help you with the transfer. You asked if you could turn strokes into vectors, and you can with auto-trace. You may want to post the second half of your question, ie masks into Illustrator, over at the main after effects forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]