FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D Stroke wrapping around objects

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Chute
3D Stroke wrapping around objects
on Jan 14, 2010 at 2:15:14 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers on how to shape Trapcodes 3D stroke around objects or 2D layers.

My scene is for a music video, I'm intending to wrap light streak spirals around some twiggy trees in a forest. The trees are set against a white background so I have easily luma alpha matted them so the streaks can pass behind the twigs and branches nicely.

The only trouble is moving the light streak spiral in 3D space so that it comes out and passes in front of the tree and then back behind.

I checked a few other threads and I saw a solution of duplicating the stroke layer and sandwich the light stokes either side of the tree but this is time consuming and won't allow me to track the motion of the shots to a camera.

Most of the shots are locked off on a tripod so the tracking isn't a major issue but I'd like the 3D light streaks to move in 3D space around the trees. So is there some pick whipping I can do after tracking the motion (using on-screen markers filmed on location) to the rotation of the 3d light streak in z-space etc. ?

Put it simply - I need to make a christmas tree shaped spiral light streak that I can place around a 2d image. The stroke needs to be tracked to the track points of the footage so which attributes could I parent the track to?

Many many thanks to anyone that can help...I've been starring at the 2d pen tool with the stroke moving in z and x rotation for some time now! I just want a 3D spiral man!

Sorry for the essay!

Jack

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: 3D Stroke wrapping around objects
on Jan 14, 2010 at 3:08:02 pm

Hey Jack,

Not sure if 3d stroke is really the right tool for the job. Making true 3d mask shapes is a royal pain and pretty limited. I personally would use Trapcode particular. You can easily picwip the position of the emitter to whatever layer or null you want and can use the obscuration feature to do exactly what you are asking. The real question is, do you have Particular. I cover pretty much this exact effect in my training dvd here at the Cow, Practical Particles. I use trig functions to drive the circular motion in 2 dimensions and use a slider to control the radius and make it variable. I also show how to use the obscuration layer function to make the swirls wrap around a building. Here is a video of the final project:

Is this what you are looking for?

Best,

Mike Park

PS - one long essay question deserves an essay response:)

Return to posts index

Jack Chute
on Jan 14, 2010 at 3:16:04 pm

Mike...nailed it in one!

Thank you very much for the speedy, detailed response. Do you have a link to the tutorial if it is hosted online for free?

Or if it is on your DVD training package, where could I find it and at what sort of price? I'm still only a student so I can't really afford much!

I've just been playing around with Particular and null emitters in 3D. Just finding the process of directing the null into the shapes I want pretty tricky, as opposed to the 3D stroke pen tool path. I guess your tutorial covers that seeing as how well your light streaks maps the building.

Any further help much appreciated! and thanks again for the info in the previous post, great help!

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Jan 14, 2010 at 4:31:55 pm

The dvd is here: http://store.creativecow.net/p/79/practical_particles
It is 4 1/2 hours of training. I wish I could give you the project file, but it is included on the dvd. The dvd is $49.95. I know there are a few tutorials about creating light streaks on the web. You could use those as a starting place. The great part about the dvd tutorial is I show you how to set up the circular rotation and slider controls. It would be perfect to create the conical shape you want...just animate the radius over time.

Mike

Return to posts index

Jack Chute
on Jan 14, 2010 at 6:10:23 pm

Ok great.

The only trouble is, I'm from England and the project is due sometime next week! Is there anyway I could purchase the tutorials in an online version? Hosted file? Streaming?

Ordering a physical DVD seems a bit 2000...its 2010!

Or maybe you could release the individual tutorial that I need? I'd be willing to pay for it as it is the exact product I would use as a reference.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Mike Park
on Jan 14, 2010 at 7:02:14 pm

Hey, I am just the author, the distribution is all CreativeCOW. Here is a potential solution. I cant just give this away, since I would be breaching my contract and CreativeCow would probably frown heavily on that. However, if you purchase the dvd, I can email you two projects included on the dvd which do what you want and also upload the actual 25 minute tutorial showing how to achieve the effect step by step. Just email me the confirmation of your order and I will get the projects to you asap.

Plus, as an added bonus, I will personally help you with your project if you have any questions and will take a look at your comp (if you want me to) and trouble shoot.

I think that is the best I can do...I think it is a pretty good deal, but that is just me.

Plus, you will be receiving the rest of the tutorials showing how to use particular in a short time.

Return to posts index

Jack Chute
on Jan 16, 2010 at 11:51:01 am

Thanks so much for that amazing offer Mark, I'll get back to you later today, I'm currently away for home. But that sounds like an incredible offer!

Return to posts index

Jack Chute
on Jan 17, 2010 at 12:03:17 pm

I've just purchased the DVD Mike, do you think you could let me know your email so I can forward the receipt to you?

And once again many thanks for the great help, I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Jan 17, 2010 at 2:17:13 pm

Sure

park_mike@yahoo.com

What email address should I send the project files to?

Mike

Return to posts index

Topher Welsh
on Feb 25, 2010 at 2:57:56 pm

Hey Mike... tried to find your email on Creative Cow... but no luck... had something I wanted to propose to you...

shoot me an email at topher at toe-fur dot com?

Topher Welsh
Toe Fur Productions - http://www.toe-fur.com
Webmaster - http://www.VisualFXtuts.com

Return to posts index

ogundipe adebowale
on Feb 4, 2010 at 4:31:05 am

hey donno but you could try rendering the desired stokeclip and then you duplicate it on the time line and slice inbetween on the time line and then you will be able to put the tree inbetween them and if the stroke looked 3d in the first place it will also after you slice it and then about the tracking, you could use nulls

Return to posts index

James Hooey
on Mar 21, 2010 at 5:57:29 pm

Mike,

I have your DVD and am working through your Sublime Swirls tut...but

I want to apply swirls over a 3D cube (6 3D layers)...I have attached the cube to a null for easy manipulation but also have to utilize collapse transformations to keep it 3D....

Now the particles will not obsucre in Particular 2.0...

Any suggestions?

All the best,
James Hooey

If I'm not learning something....I'm bored.

Return to posts index

James Hooey
on Mar 21, 2010 at 6:24:48 pm

hmm....I figured it out...

Precompose the collapsed 3D comp ....AGAIN...

If I'm not learning something....I'm bored.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Mar 21, 2010 at 7:08:40 pm

James,

Unfortunatley, the obscuration in Particular is quirky. I hope someday they will allow true 3d integration inside after effects. Until then, it is precomp and then precomp again, and again, and again....

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]