FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particular2 and Zdepth

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Hammers
Particular2 and Zdepth
on Dec 8, 2009 at 11:22:31 pm

May my ignorance be excused, but what I try to do is to integrate a snow particles into rendered 3D scene - several layers of buildings, which requires more than one layer of snow. I was looking toward particular2 comping it with its zdepth.
Therefore I wonder how actually ZDepth layer works in Visibility group.
User's manual/redGiant&Trapcode's tuts speak scarce on this topic.
I tried to load 3D-scene-based grayscale and then ramp+fill comped garbage, but could not get the results that reveal this thing in action in both cases. I couldn't figure out clearly a connection between white-black and near-far, because it gave me no obvious change in particle clipping - with same success I could achieve this without depth map.
For extra mess clipping worked if I set white Z value larger than black one only, notwithstanding my grayscale in distance fades to black.
I know there's Obscuration layer possibility, but I have them many, not single. Workaround?

It would be ideal if there could be possibility to clip/fade/obscure particles based on grayscale depth layer. Possible? How?

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: Particular2 and Zdepth
on Dec 21, 2009 at 5:06:22 pm

If you already have multiple instances of particular, why not use the near/far fade values to accomplish this? Just go down to the visibility settings and adjust the far values to cut off at the right distance. Use the position of your 3d layers as the clipping plane.

Best,

Mike Park

Return to posts index

Neal Hammers
on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:06:09 pm

well, if I got correctly what You say then this solves nothing when trying to implement particular into complex scene with Z-depth, rather it is stuff sort of what the tutorial about compositing single 3D layer inside particular teaches. this is faraway from achieving volumetric feeling when each particle is being obscured by objects closer to camera.
imagine you have dozens of "overlapping" objects in different distance from camera. you can render z-depth channel inside 3D app, or simulate it with some plugs/expressions. how can it be used to comp with a single particular layer emitting snow/fire/fog/whatever?

Return to posts index

Liran Tabib
on Jan 29, 2014 at 8:45:07 pm

its a little late but combining your 3d z-depth with an internal z-depth map (created inside after effects with particular) as seen in the tutorial linked might solve this
http://vdodna.com/Videos/5-asteroid-field-part-2/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]