FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trapcode Particular 2 -- Data Flow Simulation

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jolosky
Trapcode Particular 2 -- Data Flow Simulation
on Nov 17, 2009 at 6:02:25 am

Sorry for a newbie type post but looking for some help with a particular (pun intended) effect.

Working on a project where I need to demonstrate data (think lucky charms for a minute, pink hearts, yellow moons, green clovers, etc) that flows from POINT A to POINT B.

So the particles technically are already emitted, they need to look like they are flowing.

I've created my custom particle, I have it emitting the way I like, and I've even developed the pathing system from POINT A to POINT B. I just can't seem to get my head around making them "flow" or feel like they are flowing. I have them emitting and moving the right direction but I feel I'm missing a simple piece of the puzzle.

Particular expertise appreciated. Much thanks.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
Re: Trapcode Particular 2 -- Data Flow Simulation
on Nov 17, 2009 at 12:08:40 pm

you probably need to add some secondary motion to get the feel of flowing. Look in the Physics section of the plug-in and inside the air option, you'll find options for turbulence and wind (and lots of other parameters). Try playing around with these settings to add a little more realistic motion.

I believe if you Peder Norbys latest videos (probably on red giants website) he shows how you can orient the particles along a path, which could also be a way to add in some reality - stuff rarely travels in a direct line.

i forget the name of the parameter but there is also something that can repel your particles, as if they were being diverted around an obstacle.

And don't forget, a little motion blur can do wonders for a motion effect.

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Nov 17, 2009 at 1:44:58 pm

First off, do you have Particular 1.5 or 2.0. If 2.0, you can use the new rotation parameters on the textured polygon particle type to give added dimension. I think what you need to do is introduce some spin amplitude under the air physics rollout. Not too much, just enough to randomize the path. Also, turn down the spin delay. You may also wish to introduce some turbulence by adjusting the affect position parameter under the turbulence rollout.

Hope this helps,

Mike Park

Return to posts index

David Jolosky
on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:22:04 pm

Thank you to both who have responded thus far. I'd like to clarify my question to see if it yields a more comprehensive response/solution.

1. I have Trapcode Particular 2 -- It was in the subject line, I should have put it in the body of the thread.
2. I have the pathing set up (as stated in the body)

Here's a different approach that I'd like your response to.

Let's say i have 20 particles. I want to move these 20 particles in a flowing "stream" from POINT A to POINT B so it looks like the particles start at A and then "travel" along my path (which i've already created and have the emitter following) and then they wind up/land in the POINT B. As if you poured or shot or pulled them from one place to the other.

Sorry if this is clear as mud.

I think playing with the physics will help, and I also think timing the life so that I only get "X" amount of emitters in the stream is the way to go.

Was hoping someone had done this type of simulation before.

cheers and thank you again for your kind responses.

david jolosky, visual communications || design || construct || interact

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:42:32 pm

I think the problem you are having is that the emitter is following the path, not the particles. Place your emitter at the start of the path. Create a new light. Call it "Motion Path 1". Animate the light along the path. Then, in particular, in the physics settings, change the motion path from off to "Motion Path 1". Now your particles will follow the motion path and "flow". Use the spin and turbulence settings to create a little more randomness.

Sorry, I had assumed you set it up this way in the first place. If you have the emitter moving, you will have trails of particles, not flows.

Hope this clears things up.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]