FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particular and 3d invg

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john younger
Particular and 3d invg
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:04:36 am

Is there any way to make 3d invigorator and particular interact together?? Specifically i want a little flame trailbuilt in particular to come in and around a logo in 3d built in 3d invig...
thanks in advance
john

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Particular and 3d invg
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:26:25 pm

you can sandwich the invigorator layer between two nearly identical particle layers. use the near and far vanish settings in the visibility properties to clip the systems, so that top system appears in front and the other appears in back.

the technique is outlined in this tutorial:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/red_giant_composi...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

john younger
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:58:37 pm

Thanks ill give it a whirl
john

Return to posts index

john younger
on Oct 14, 2009 at 2:57:18 am

Hmmmm ok. i understand to parent the layers to a null ( pickwhipping both xy and the z for both layers ) and then animate positions accordingly, how ever im confused on how to make them appear to go in front of and behind the 3d invig layer in the z position. Do you simply keyframe the Far Vanish and Far start fade? Also with both layers on is creating double the particles slightly offset. Am i missing something. Thanks in advance, you guys are great.
i saw the desired result at the end of the tutorial (girl playing guitar)however i couldnt achieve it.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 14, 2009 at 8:26:05 pm

the easiest way is to create the particle system exactly how you want it, except for wrapping around the layer. then duplicate that particle system and place the layer(s) that will be in the middle of the particle system between the two particle system layers.

then you'll set the far vanish of the top particle system to the near vanish value of the lower particle system. you could use an expression to link the near vanish value to the far vanish (just use the expression pickwhip to link one to the other), then you'd only need to manipulate one value to get the clipping to look correct. you shouldn't need to animate the near/far vanish values unless you zax layer is animating in z-space.

also, if you are linking the emitter to a 3d null with expressions, the next go around, it might be easier to create a new light (probably a point light) and name it 'emitter'. then set particular to emitter to 'light' and it will automatically use that light as the emitter without needing to use expressions. also, the light's brightness value (and if a spot light, the cone angle and direction) will effect the particles, so it gives some added control.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

john younger
on Oct 15, 2009 at 9:32:23 pm

Thanks so much..it works, im a bit unsure why but it works!!!! Thanks so much
john

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved